Re: [Healeys] 100-6 part 2

To: healeys@autox.team.net, frogeye@porterscustom.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-6 part 2
From: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:54:04 +1100
Well, I can't just ignore the rust so I will dismantle the body and
check it out. At this point you discover that rust progresses even when
the car has been in dry storage for over 50 years. You remove the front
and rear wings / guards. After using the accumulated top soil from the
from guards and top dress your lawn with the accumulated volume you
discover that the lower front guards and rear guard doglegs are toast.
The inner and out sills are also rusty, and if your really lucky the
chassis and outriggers are ok. At this point you remind yourself that
Donald Healey stated that he built the cars thinking they had had 5 year
life span, and many did after being used and abused and then parked. And
console yourself about the the now massive task you have undertaken. At
this crucial stage large quantities of alcohol are beneficial, as you
are really this for the long term. So you go for it, the full deal, rust
repairs, sandblasting, repainting everything. Now having done all that
your not going to reinstall all that tatty old trim and hood are you?
and the gauges have all seized, and new need a new wiring loom, and the
gas tank is rusted out, and, and, and, Hmmm. Barn find? More often than
not they are junked old cars that need a complete restoration to have
any real value. If you add up the parts cost and pay yourself a dollar
an hour for your labor you may make a profit.
Enjoy your weekend guys, or in Australia your long weekend.
Cheers
Larry Varley