Re: [Healeys] BN-1 Hydraulic clutch mod.

To: Wayne Schultz <waschu2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN-1 Hydraulic clutch mod.
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 08:39:53 -0400
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a113d2344e8b23305376f9180

Wayne--

I jacked the front end up but could not get enough distance between the
camera lens and the MC to provide a decent picture.  I'd have to have the
car on a lift to get a good shot.

The master cylinder is mounted on the inside face of the left frame (just
forward of the clutch actuating lever) with the hydraulic output line
going forward along the face of that rail and then across the after face of
the front transverse frame rail to the secondary cylinder which is mounted
on the inner face of the right frame rail.

As I recall Smith Brodie strongly suggested that in mounting the secondary
cylinder I cut the head off one of the two bolts to make it easier to
remove the cylinder as it is in a pretty tight place.  I also created an
access door to the cylinder in the vertical shut panel so that I can access
the cylinder for removal and bleeding via the footwell.

BTW I used a BJ8 diaphragm clutch--lighter and smoother action than the
standard spring clutch.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Wayne Schultz <waschu2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>                My friend and I are converting his early BN-1 to a Toyota 5
> speed from Pete Delaney.  We are having a problem mounting the new bracket
> for the clutch master. When trying to position it to the forward stud on
> the frame the top of the aluminum bracket hits the engine oil pan? We have
> the original 3 speed out and the back of the motor supported with a jack
> and wood on the back of the oil pan.  I would have to jack the motor 1 to 2
> inches for it to clear. I know Michael and others have done the conversion
> so I was hoping for answers or pictures.  I have pictures of the problem if
> anyone is interested. I will send them on request.
>
> Thanks
> Wayne
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com

--001a113d2344e8b23305376f9180

">Wayne--</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)">=
ked the front end up but could not get enough distance between the camera l=
ens and the MC to provide a decent picture.=C2=A0 I&#39;d have to have the =
car on a lift to get a good shot.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=
=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"c=
olor:rgb(51,51,255)">The master cylinder is mounted on the inside face of t=
he left frame (just forward of the clutch actuating lever)=C2=A0with the hy=
draulic output line going=C2=A0forward along the face of that rail and then=
 across the after face of the front transverse frame rail to the secondary =
cylinder which is mounted on the inner face of the right frame rail. =C2=A0=
/div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)">As I recal=
l Smith Brodie strongly suggested that in mounting the secondary cylinder I=
 cut the head off one of the two bolts to make it easier to remove the cyli=
nder as it is in a pretty tight place.=C2=A0 I also created an access door =
to the cylinder in the vertical shut panel so that I can access the cylinde=
r for removal and bleeding via the footwell.</div><div class=3D"gmail_defau=
lt" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" s=
tyle=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)">BTW I used a BJ8 diaphragm clutch--lighter an=
d smoother action than the standard spring clutch.</div><div class=3D"gmail=
_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_defa=
ult" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)">Best--Michael Oritt</div></div><div cla=
ss=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 4=
:24 PM, Wayne Schultz <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:waschu2@gmail=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex">Hello,<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0My friend and I are =
converting his early BN-1 to a Toyota 5 speed from Pete Delaney.=C2=A0 We a=
re having a problem mounting the new bracket for the clutch master. When tr=
ying to position it to the forward stud on the frame the top of the aluminu=
m bracket hits the engine oil pan? We have the original 3 speed out and the=
 back of the motor supported with a jack and wood on the back of the oil pa=
n.=C2=A0 I would have to jack the motor 1 to 2 inches for it to clear. I kn=
ow Michael and others have done the conversion so I was hoping for answers =
or pictures.=C2=A0 I have pictures of the problem if anyone is interested. =
I will send them on request.<br>
Thanks<br>
Wayne<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>