Re: [Healeys] Healey Values

To: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey Values
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 20:13:33 -0400
OK---maybe I came down a bit hard on my response, but for goodness sake, all I
was trying to do was point out the fact that Healey values (according to
Hagerty) have decreased, and that is was a bit of bad news to me anyway.  I
wasn't talking about how much we love them or work on them or their value to us.

tom
---- Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net> wrote:

=============
Righteous?  Really Tom?  This was not a personal attack.  It was a general
statement.  Prices can not go up forever.  There are cycles to any
commodity.  Eventually prices will rise again.  Of course taking a loss is
not anyone's ideal situation.  Maybe you should have been into Porsches ten
years ago or so.  Right now they are going for ridiculous sums almost no one
can afford.  As far as I am concerned I am into Healey cars because I like
them.  If money was a concern I would not have spent almost $25K restoring my
Bugeye back in 1999 with no hope of ever recovering that amount when I sell
it.  I just love Bugeyes.  Besides the auction prices are artificially
inflated by people looking only for an investment.  Austin Healeys are going
the way of the Model T anyway.  Model Ts are going for very low prices these
days because there is no one left that originally drove them.  It won't be
long before Healeys suffer the same fate.  Eventually the restoration scene
will be mostly Japanese tuner cars for the next generation.  Even the Peterson
museum recognizes this.  My son's 2002 Lexus lowered drifter car is on their
brochure.  There will always be a market for Austin Healey cars, it just won't
be as big as it is today.  Not being confrontational, I just see the writing
on the wall.Mike MacLean