Re: [Healeys] Leaking rear axle hub (BT7) following recent installation

To: philip fish <philipfish@waitrose.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaking rear axle hub (BT7) following recent installation of new seal!
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:08:27 +0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a114f07405a1de1053c72654e

Phil -

The hub seal works best when you use the original style thin paper gasket.
Often shops stick in thicker gaskets or put a bunch of silicone sealant on
it not understanding that the hub gasket itself is designed to seal only if
the five nuts holding the spline on the hub are properly torqued with a
thin gasket on the hub.  If the nuts start backing off, then you will get a
leak, it's meant to tell you to tighten the nuts up again.

thin gasket - proper torque - you won't have leaks.

Best,

Alan

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:55 AM, philip fish <philipfish@waitrose.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> 6 months ago my local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle which
> was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today everywhere was
> covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage replaced the oil
> seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the paper gasket. There
> is no O-ring on this model.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the seal
> has completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?
>
> Phil

> options/healeys/healey.nut@gmail.com

--001a114f07405a1de1053c72654e

 use the original style thin paper gasket.=C2=A0 Often shops stick in thick=
er gaskets or put a bunch of silicone sealant on it not understanding that =
the hub gasket itself is designed to seal only if the five nuts holding the=
 spline on the hub are properly torqued with a thin gasket on the hub.=C2=
=A0 If the nuts start backing off, then you will get a leak, it&#39;s meant=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:55 AM, philip fish <=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:philipfish@waitrose.com"; target=3D"_=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size=
y local garage replaced the seal on the O/S rear axle=20
which was weeping slowly. When I took the wheel and drum off today=20
everywhere was covered in oil from a major leak. Previously the garage=20
replaced the oil seal, bearing, bearing spacer, hub lock washer and the=20
paper gasket. There is no O-ring on this model.<br>
Does anybody have any ideas what might have gone wrong? I assume the seal h=
as completely failed. Any helpful advice I can pass onto the garage?<br>
Phil =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0</div></div>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>