Re: [Healeys] su pumps again

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] su pumps again
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 13:41:36 +0100
Simon,
Nearly all SU pumps are fitted with a capacitor, which makes the pump
dual polarity. So sparking is reduced anyway. Only early SU pumps did
not have a capacitor or diode.
Fitting a diode of course will make the pump single polarity which can
be reversed by reversing the diode. I believe the diode works better
than the capacitor, however all the pumps I have overhauled had a
capacitor which I left in place.
It is not always the sparking that destroys the points, damp conditions
cause electrolytic corrosion forming forming complete "cauliflowers".
If you still have single points replace them with a set of double points.
Kees Oudesluijs