Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Shock Mount Kit -

To: "100healey ." <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Shock Mount Kit -
From: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 09:27:15 +0000
Cc: Forum <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a11471a149eb9880541f47e2f

Depends where you are starting from and what you intend to do with the car.
If the front end is already dismantled due to a rebuild then fitting them
isn't a problem. If not then it isn't worth the effort unless you
absolutely want to run the car with negative camber, the only reason to do
this is to improve aggressive cornering ability. For normal road use they
are not necessary and the standard set up is fine.

Derek

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Jean, I like the Kilmartin kit. It was actually developed by an old
> friend and taken over by Kilmartin when he didn't want to make them any
> longer. Firstly have a good look at the condition of the threads in your
> existing shock mounts as often they are stripped or close to it. If so you
> may as well use the Kilmartin kit as at least the treads are tapped into a
> plate rather than welded in nuts. Plus you get the advantage of being able
> to adjust camber back to around zero if your going to run radial tyres.
> Other than Bob's comment I have never heard of a problem with the kit. I
> would also suggest you use hardened washers which are readily available on
> your mounting bolts to properly spread the clamping load on the shock body.
>
> Cheers
>
> Larry Varley
>
> http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/

> options/healeys/derek.c.job@gmail.com

--001a11471a149eb9880541f47e2f

 do with the car. If the front end is already dismantled due to a rebuild t=
hen fitting them isn&#39;t a problem. If not then it isn&#39;t worth the ef=
fort unless you absolutely want to run the car with negative camber, the on=
ly reason to do this is to improve aggressive cornering ability. For normal=
 road use they are not necessary and the standard set up is fine.=C2=A0<div=
=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 7:20 AM, Larry Varley <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:varley@cosmos.net.au"; target=3D"_blank">varley@=
yle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Je=
an, I like the Kilmartin kit. It was actually developed by an old friend an=
d taken over by Kilmartin when he didn&#39;t want to make them any longer. =
Firstly have a good look at the condition of the threads in your existing s=
hock mounts as often they are stripped or close to it. If so you may as wel=
l use the Kilmartin kit as at least the treads are tapped into a plate rath=
er than welded in nuts. Plus you get the advantage of being able to adjust =
camber back to around zero if your going to run radial tyres. Other than Bo=
b&#39;s comment I have never heard of a problem with the kit. I would also =
suggest you use hardened washers which are readily available on your mounti=
ng bolts to properly spread the clamping load on the shock body.<br>
Cheers<br>
Larry Varley<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>