Re: [Healeys] Adjusting valves, dog nut on crank

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjusting valves, dog nut on crank
From: Frank Magnusson <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 14:26:08 -0500
Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions.

What I ended up doing as I don't have alot of room in the garage to push it,
was to stay with the method I've always used; I just had to find the right tool
to turn the crankshaft dog nut and its been over 10 years since I last adjusted
them, although not many miles, so just had to try to remember.  But it all came
back.

I used a 12 inch tapered steel punch from Sears (p/n 9  42903).  Not sure if
the leading 9 is part of the p/n or not...that size punch fits the dog ears of
the nut well; a little dicey coming across the water pump, but ok if you're
careful.  It also helps to remove the fan from the water pump and place some
cardboard over the radiator fins so they don't get damaged.  With the fan
removed, theres alot more room, and its only 4 bolts; takes less than 5 minutes
to remove it.

Also found an old tattered oil stained copy of a good valve adjusting method,
rule of 13, etc that I got a long time ago from Steve Byers that I stuck in my
shop manual.  Thanks Steve!  Really surprised that the factory shop manual
doesn't go into that level of detail, but it was probably one of those tribal
knowledge things back in the day.

So, valves adjusted; had a few out (wide), and about halfway through double
checking the clearances.

Thanks again for the help,

Frank
'65 BJ8