Re: [Healeys] Fuel pumps (AGAIN!)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel pumps (AGAIN!)
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 08:50:49 -0800

--------------136CA8A685B05D3212FE1E71

Any idea what brand sealant was used?  The BH product has very specific
application instructions involving a cleaner and an etching compound
before the sealant is applied.  Like any 'paint,' the job is 90%
preparation.  IIRC, both of my tanks were new or near-new when we
applied the sealant.

On 12/1/2018 7:01 AM, warthodson@aol.com wrote:
> Another sloshing horror story. We were 600 mikes from home & in the
> Rocky Mountains. A friend's 3000 had been running fine until one day
> in the mountains. It began to run fine for about 15-20 minutes, then
> slowly die. A few minutes later it would restart & run fine for 15-20
> minutes & die again. It repeated this pattern over & over. Of course
> we checked adjusted &/or replaced everything we could. The problem
> turned out to be the sloshing sealer that had separated in a large
> sheet from the bottom of the tank. With the pump running the sheet
> would be sucked up to the pickup & the pump was being starved for
> fuel. When the engine died & the ignition was shut off the sheet of
> sealant would slowly sink back down to the bottom of the tank & the
> pump could again deliver fuel until the sheet was again drawn up to
> the pick up.
> Gary Hodson

  <head>
  </head>
      specific application instructions involving a cleaner and an
      etching compound before the sealant is applied.  Like any 'paint,'
      the job is 90% preparation.  IIRC, both of my tanks were new or
      near-new when we applied the sealant.<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:warthodson@aol.com";>warthodson@aol.com</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1428439623.132673.1543676465591@mail.yahoo.com">
          &amp; in the Rocky Mountains. A friend's 3000 had been running
          fine until one day in the mountains. It began to run fine for
          about 15-20 minutes, then slowly die. A few minutes later it
          would restart &amp; run fine for 15-20 minutes &amp; die
          again. It repeated this pattern over &amp; over. Of course we
          checked adjusted &amp;/or replaced everything we could. The
          problem turned out to be the sloshing sealer that had
          separated in a large sheet from the bottom of the tank. With
          the pump running the sheet would be sucked up to the pickup
          &amp; the pump was being starved for fuel. When the engine
          died &amp; the ignition was shut off the sheet of sealant
          would slowly sink back down to the bottom of the tank &amp;
          the pump could again deliver fuel until the sheet was again
          drawn up to the pick up. </div>

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original
          Message-----<br>
                their tanks sloshed with Bill Hirsch sealer (I heard
                Bill Hirsch died recently, BTW).  The BJ8's tank was
                done at least 20 years ago, the BN2's more recently.  I
                inspect them occasionally and have seen no evidence of
                any fragments of the sealer either coming out of the
                feed pipe or in the pumps when I pull them apart.  Also,
                when the last pump stopped and I fitted my last spare
                pump it started pumping enthusiastically--and I drove it
                for 10 or so miles--so if the pickup tube in the tank is
                plugged I wouldn't expect that, but I'll have a look
                inside the tanks.</div>
                we bought a used tank.  We had an issues with an
                extremely erratic pump: no pumping, heavy thrashing
                (like fibrillation you get when the tank runs dry or you
                have an inlet leak) and occasionally, normal pumping.
                We blew out the lines, tried several needle valves and
                Grose jets but to no avail.  Finally, my dad had a hunch
                and cut the pickup tube out of the tank.  Sure enough,
                there was a lot of corrosion and a pinhole leak in the
                tube near where it exited the tank.  Dad speculated that
                the flux used to solder the tube in the tank was
                corrosive and not cleaned off correctly (well, it was a
                40-year-old tank at the time).  Something to put in the
                diagnostics database.</div>
                id="yiv2223433046yqtfd55469">
                  8:26 PM, Michael Salter wrote:<br clear="none">
                id="yiv2223433046yqtfd11933">
                  something from the old grey matter ...
                    that will cause premature failure is restrictions in
                    the supply to the pump.</div>
                    the pump provides the pressure. As the pressure on
                    the output side of the pump decreases the diaphragm
                    moves down to a point where the points close, that
                    energizes the coil to pull the armature up against
                    the spring pressure to the point where the points
                    "flip" and open to stop the current flow through the
                    coil.</div>
                    line feeding the pump the low pressure at the pump
                    inlet can create a partial vacuum which will prevent
                    the armature from rising fully and thus the points
                    from "flipping" .</div>
                    "cooks" in a short time thus ruining the pump.</div>
                    delivery problem in a car that had had the tank
                    "sloshed". The sloshing compound had coated the
                    gauze filter  inside the tank severly restricting
                    the flow. </div>
                    pump electrical supply which showed the prolonged
                    current flow to the pump.</div>

--------------136CA8A685B05D3212FE1E71--

--===============1946680351614508744==