Re: [Healeys] Sump removal

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Sump removal
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 12:46:47 -0800

--------------34EEED6551FCC0A9DF922803

I had to do this recently.  If it's stuck on with an adhesive
sealant--Right Stuff, etc.--you are screwed.  I ended up sawing through
the hardened sealant with a large, serrated knife (the kind you carve a
turkey with).  I hurt my elbow, perhaps permanently, but had no choice
as the pan was cracked and part of the blade broke off in the pan.  I
used a gasket and a sealant when I reinstalled the pan; theoretically if
I need to remove it again I can saw through the gasket.  I might buy an
electric carving knife just to do this, but I'm not sure you could get
the blade started.

3M Adhesive Remover softened the lingering sealant (you know it's
good--the 3M stuff--because it's banned in California).  Then, it's lots
of scraping.

Bob

ps.  When I was looking for a 'magic answer' I found videos and photos
of people lifting small block Chevy engines by the carburettor
studs--with the bolts removed--on the manifold, which had been affixed
with Right Stuff sealant.

On 12/6/2018 8:39 AM, simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com wrote:

> I?m trying to get the sump (oil pan?) off my MkII 3000.
>
> I?ve given up for now but will check again that I?ve taken off all the
> bolts.
>
> It absolutely won?t shift and I?m finding it very hard to get an
> implement in with which to prise it open.
>
> I guess that it?s sealed with and cemented to the block with some
> gloop that just won?t shift.
>
> Is there a clever way to do this?
>
> What?s the magic answer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

--------------34EEED6551FCC0A9DF922803

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      sealant--Right Stuff, etc.--you are screwed.  I ended up sawing
      through the hardened sealant with a large, serrated knife (the
      kind you carve a turkey with).  I hurt my elbow, perhaps
      permanently, but had no choice as the pan was cracked and part of
      the blade broke off in the pan.  I used a gasket and a sealant
      when I reinstalled the pan; theoretically if I need to remove it
      again I can saw through the gasket.  I might buy an electric
      carving knife just to do this, but I'm not sure you could get the
      blade started.</p>
      good--the 3M stuff--because it's banned in California).  Then,
      it's lots of scraping.<br>
      photos of people lifting small block Chevy engines by the
      carburettor studs--with the bolts removed--on the manifold, which
      had been affixed with Right Stuff sealant.</p>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>
 wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:002d01d48d82$39f269c0$add73d40$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          my MkII 3000.<o:p></o:p></p>
          that I?ve taken off all the bolts.<o:p></o:p></p>
          it very hard to get an implement in with which to prise it
          open.<o:p></o:p></p>
          to the block with some gloop that just won?t shift.<o:p></o:p></p>

--------------34EEED6551FCC0A9DF922803--

--===============5416252304854759135==