Re: [Healeys] Speedometer cable/shaft issue

To: Mirek Sharp <m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca>, Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>, Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speedometer cable/shaft issue
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 09:48:42 -0500 (EST)

------=_Part_604008_1367626381.1549032522658

I can vouch for them being very good. I needed a cable to go from the D type
Volvo/Laycock overdrive that I put in my MG TD to the stock speedometer. That
included a different size inner cable at each end and the end nuts were also
different. I tried to measure everything so I could tell him, but he already
knew what was required. Who would have known that a Jaeger/Smiths speedo
required a metric nut to connect to it.
BTW, if any of you know of anyone needing information on converting a T series
MG from the stock 54 hp XPAG engine to an over 100 hp B18 or B20 Volvo unit
with 4 speed or 4 speed with overdrive, I moderate a Yahoo Group called
VolvoEnginedMGs. Go to the website and ask to join or send me an email to send
out an invitation to join. A Yahoo group works pretty much like this email
list, except that besides getting the emails with pictures, you can also go to
the website and browse the conversations and pics.

Charlie Baldwin

> On January 31, 2019 at 5:54 PM Mirek Sharp <m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>     Andy Henderson at Vintage British Cables -  they are the best
>

> http://vintagebritishcables.com/Smiths-Speedometer-Cable-SmithsTachometer-Cable.php

<!DOCTYPE html>
 @font-face  {font-family: Tahoma;}
  p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal  {margin: 0cm; margin-bottom: .0=
001pt; font-size: 12.0pt; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";}
 a:link, span.MsoHyperlink  {color: blue; text-decoration: underline;}
 a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed  {color: purple; text-decoration: und=
erline;}
 span.EmailStyle17  {font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; color: windowtext=
;}
 .MsoChpDefault  {font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif";}
 @page WordSection1  {margin: 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
 div.WordSection1  {}
e to go from the D type Volvo/Laycock overdrive that I put in my MG TD to t=
he stock speedometer.  That included a different size inner cable at each e=
nd and the end nuts were also different.  I tried to measure everything so =
I could tell him, but he already knew what was required.  Who would have kn=
own that a Jaeger/Smiths speedo required a metric nut to connect to it.<br>=
BTW, if any of you know of anyone needing information on converting a T ser=
ies MG from the stock 54 hp XPAG engine to an over 100 hp B18 or B20 Volvo =
unit with 4 speed or 4 speed with overdrive, I moderate a Yahoo Group calle=
d VolvoEnginedMGs.  Go to the website and ask to join or send me an email t=
o send out an invitation to join.  A Yahoo group works pretty much like thi=
s email list, except that besides getting the emails with pictures, you can=
 also go to the website and browse the conversations and pics.<br><br>https=
://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VolvoenginedMGs/info<br><br>Charlie Baldwin<=
br>
=20
=20
  =20
  =20
   On January 31, 2019 at 5:54 PM Mirek Sharp &#60;m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca&#=
quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">Andy Henderson at Vintage Briti=
sh Cables -&#160; they are the best
quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">
     =20
       &#160;
quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;"><a href=3D"http://vintagebritis=
hcables.com/Smiths-Speedometer-Cable-SmithsTachometer-Cable.php">http://vin=
tagebritishcables.com/Smiths-Speedometer-Cable-SmithsTachometer-Cable.php</=
a>
quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">
     =20
       &#160;
quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">
     =20
       &#160;
: &quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">From:</span></b><span style=
=3D"font-size: 10.0pt; font-family: &quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quo=
t;;"> Healeys [mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net] <b>On Behalf Of </b>M=
    =20
      &#160;
 diff with a conversion gearbox for the speedometer mounted behind the dash=
board.&#160; The inner flex shaft in the short section of cable between the=
 gearbox and the speedometer head is about 8&#34; long and the tip going in=
to the gearbox has worn and occasionally allows the other end of the shaft =
to disengage from the head so that the speedo does not function.&#160;</spa=
n>
        =20
          &#160;
rce for the inner speedometer drive cable, not the entire cable (outer jack=
et and&#160; inner drive shaft, but simply a short length--perhaps 8&#34;--=
of the inner drive shaft.&#160; Any source suggestions--or donations of old=
 shaft--will be greatly appreciated.</span>
        =20
          &#160;
l Oritt</span>
charlie@comcast.net