Re: [Healeys] Shock Tower

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shock Tower
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 19:20:35 -0800

--------------210B1517E52C8ED112D1D0A2

Sounds not unlike: http://tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=30&new=1

In case replacement of the mounting plate is necessary, how do those
that have done it locate the new plate on the tower?  Of course, you can
adjust the camber, but how do you position the plate before welding to
get the correct caster?  I've given it quite a bit of thought and, short
of welding or bolting some type of 'jig' on the top of the tower I can't
see how to easily, and accurately, do it.

Bob

On 2/17/2019 2:23 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Gerry,
> The problem that you have encountered is not too uncommon, or at least
> used to be.
> We developed a repair scheme that we used quite frequently to resolve
> this.
> The process involved cutting the outer end off the "box" that the the
> shock mounts on and then using a punch of some sort to break all the
> "weld nuts" from the upper surface of the "box".
> We then cut a piece of 1/2" (I think that is the correct thickness)
> thick hot rolled steel plate to size such that it would snugly slide
> completely inside the "box".
> Using the existing holes in the upper surface of the "box" as a
> template the 4 holes for the shock bolts and 2 holes for the rebound
> rubber were marked out. The plate was then removed (sometimes it was
> necessary to drill a hole in the inner end of the "box" and use a
> parallel punch to drive the plate out) and drilled and tapped for the
> appropriate threads before being reinserted and welded at the outer
> end to secure it in position.
> A little time consuming but the end result was a very strong, almost
> undetectable permanent repair.
>
> Michael S
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net

--------------210B1517E52C8ED112D1D0A2

  <head>
  </head>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=30&amp;new=1";>http://tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=30&amp;new=1</a></p>
      those that have done it locate the new plate on the tower?  Of
      course, you can adjust the camber, but how do you position the
      plate before welding to get the correct caster?  I've given it
      quite a bit of thought and, short of welding or bolting some type
      of 'jig' on the top of the tower I can't see how to easily, and
      accurately, do it.</p>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LKNmbCADrEdvw_rcStrRM94tJYg6yOpc6pxqqcQFnWVeA@mail.gmail.com">
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Gerry,</div>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The problem that you have
            encountered is not too uncommon, or at least used to be.</div>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">We developed a repair scheme
            that we used quite frequently to resolve this.</div>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The process involved cutting
            the outer end off the "box" that the the shock mounts on and
            then using a punch of some sort to break all the "weld nuts"
            from the upper surface of the "box".</div>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">We then cut a piece of 1/2"
            (I think that is the correct thickness) thick hot rolled
            steel plate to size such that it would snugly slide
            completely inside the "box". <br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Using the existing holes in
            the upper surface of the "box" as a template the 4 holes for
            the shock bolts and 2 holes for the rebound rubber were
            marked out. The plate was then removed (sometimes it was
            necessary to drill a hole in the inner end of the "box" and
            use a parallel punch to drive the plate out) and drilled and
            tapped for the appropriate threads before being reinserted
            and welded at the outer end to secure it in position.</div>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">A little time consuming but
            the end result was a very strong, almost undetectable
            permanent repair. <br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
            10:52 AM Bob Haskell &lt;<a
              href="mailto:rchaskell@earthlink.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">rchaskell@earthlink.net</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>