Re: [Healeys] Timing light query

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing light query
From: Mark J Bradakis via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:25:06 -0600
Fun.  Come home from work and the network is down, no idea when it
happened.  Oh well, back on the air.

As for timing lights my friend had a repair shop, specializing in
British cars. He had this fancy, whiz bang digital state of the art
timing light from Mac Tools, it was pretty nice.  For the most part,
that is.  Often when I'd go to use it on a customer's car the thing
would just flip out, giving totally useless readings like 27,000 rpm at
400 degrees advance.

Not to worry, I'd go to my toolbox and drag out my old Craftsman light
from about 1970.  It worked just fine.  Unlike the modern one it wasn't
affected by the incredible amounts of electric noise these old cars
would produce.  Sometimes you need period tools to work on period cars.

mjb.