[Healeys] 100 nose repair

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 100 nose repair
From: "S. Carr" <britfan1@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 14:12:40 -0400

--===============1117732292995719684==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0038_01D4E95E.21EF8550"

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01D4E95E.21EF8550
        charset="utf-8"

It=E2=80=99s become clear that the nose of my BN1 was damaged far worse =
than I suspected.  (Now I know why the car had no front splash =
pan=E2=80=94no way would the right side of the nose have lined up with =
it!)  If Moss offered an aluminum repair panel I wouldn=E2=80=99t =
hesitate to spend the money, but it=E2=80=99s always listed as N/A.

The man now working on the car is an old-time race mechanic with =
contacts to a shop that makes custom carbon-fiber body panels.  If we =
could obtain a good shroud to use to make a mold, the cost of a =
carbon-fiber nose panel (attached to the main shroud with epoxy, as =
modern-car repair panels are) would not be unreasonable. Carbon fiber =
panels are much thinner than fiberglass, and would be =
indistinguishable=E2=80=94under paint=E2=80=94from aluminum.

What does the list think?  Would there be enough demand for such =
carbon-fiber nose panels to justify making a mold?  Or=E2=80=94in =
addition or in the alternative=E2=80=94making a buck on which a damaged =
nose could be worked back into shape?

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01D4E95E.21EF8550
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>It=E2=80=99s become clear that the nose of my BN1 was damaged far =
worse than I=20
suspected.&nbsp; (Now I know why the car had no front splash =
pan=E2=80=94no way would=20
the right side of the nose have lined up with it!)&nbsp; If Moss offered =
an=20
aluminum repair panel I wouldn=E2=80=99t hesitate to spend the money, =
but it=E2=80=99s always=20
listed as N/A.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The man now working on the car is an old-time race mechanic with =
contacts=20
to a shop that makes custom carbon-fiber body panels.&nbsp; If we could =
obtain a=20
good shroud to use to make a mold, the cost of a carbon-fiber nose panel =

(attached to the main shroud with epoxy, as modern-car repair panels =
are) would=20
not be unreasonable. Carbon fiber panels are much thinner than =
fiberglass, and=20
would be indistinguishable=E2=80=94under paint=E2=80=94from =
aluminum.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What does the list think?&nbsp; Would there be enough demand for =
such=20
carbon-fiber nose panels to justify making a mold?&nbsp; Or=E2=80=94in =
addition or in=20
the alternative=E2=80=94making a buck on which a damaged nose could be =
worked back into=20
shape?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sarah Carr</DIV>
<DIV>BN1 in PA</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>