Re: [Healeys] Steering Column Seals

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Column Seals
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 18:56:52 -0700

--------------1AC75E4CFB780E8FD189FBA9

Check with David Nock at BCS.  If he doesn't have them, you should be
able to fab them; use the screw holes and the Moss illustrations to get
dimensions (or maybe David or someone else knows).  The 'felt' is
nothing special, just thin (probably the lightest felt weight you can
buy, in grey).

The blanking panel has a single felt 'seal'--same for the R/H pedal
holes--the steering column has a plate and a felt on either side of the
scuttle.

Bob

On 5/20/2019 3:07 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
> I am at the point of installing the suspension and steering of my BN2
> restoration.  Today I am trying to figure out the two plates and seals
> that go on the firewall to seal the steering column outer tube.  I
> have one plate with a through hole on the passenger side, but nothing
> on the firewall side. Do both of these plates have a seal sandwiched
> beneath them, or just one?  The seals are not available from the usual
> suspects, so I surmise I have to make them.  What material should they
> be?  Just plain rubber?  I have no plate for the seal on the inside of
> he car.  The only vendors I can find that sell that plate are
> overseas.  Don't want to make an order for such a small part with the
> prohibitive shipping costs.  I don't have very much in the way of
> metal cutting tools to make my own.  Any ideas where to source this plate?
> Mike MacLean

--------------1AC75E4CFB780E8FD189FBA9

  <head>
  </head>
      should be able to fab them; use the screw holes and the Moss
      illustrations to get dimensions (or maybe David or someone else
      knows).  The 'felt' is nothing special, just thin (probably the
      lightest felt weight you can buy, in grey).</p>
      pedal holes--the steering column has a plate and a felt on either
      side of the scuttle.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1825458832.5167360.1558390063359@mail.yahoo.com">
        new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;">
          of my BN2 restoration.  Today I am trying to figure out the
          two plates and seals that go on the firewall to seal the
          steering column outer tube.  I have one plate with a through
          hole on the passenger side, but nothing on the firewall side.
          Do both of these plates have a seal sandwiched beneath them,
          or just one?  The seals are not available from the usual
          suspects, so I surmise I have to make them.  What material
          should they be?  Just plain rubber?  I have no plate for the
          seal on the inside of he car.  The only vendors I can find
          that sell that plate are overseas.  Don't want to make an
          order for such a small part with the prohibitive shipping
          costs.  I don't have very much in the way of metal cutting
          tools to make my own.  Any ideas where to source this plate?</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>

--------------1AC75E4CFB780E8FD189FBA9--

--===============4694972832136799001==