Re: [Healeys] Leaf Spring Assembly Finished

To: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaf Spring Assembly Finished
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 07:27:05 -0400
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000233d1a058b1eb2a0

Just be thankful that your car isn't a BN1 where you have to add a tapered
wedge into the equation =F0=9F=98=B3

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, 5:56 AM Michael MacLean, <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
wrote:

> Well, the driver's side finished  tonight anyway.  Just wanted to let the
> list know I assembled the axle to the leaf spring tonight.  Many thanks f=
or
> all the suggestions from the list on how to do this.  I ended up doing it
> the way restorer Lynn Martin told me. (www.4everhealeys.com)  Curt Arndt
> of the San Diego club got me in touch with Lynn.  In an email Lynn
> explained how he does it.  Put a floor jack under the leaf spring and wra=
> a chain under the floor jack and around the axle housing inside of the
> u-bolt location.  I used a tie down strap instead of a chain.  Worked jus=
> fine.  You then set a bottle jack on top of the floor jack and under the
> u-bolt plate and lift the spring into place with the bottle jack.  Easy
> peezy.  Well, not that easy.  Took a little fiddling to get everything to
> line up so the packing piece and the u-bolt plate hole lined up with the
> pin on the bottom of the leaf spring.  At the same time the hole in the
> welded box section of the axle had to line up with the pin on the top of
> the leaf spring.  I had to persuade the axle housing to move a little
> towards the passenger side to get the top pin in the hole.  The panhard b=
ar
> bushings had to be compressed a little to get everything in place.  I use=
> another tie down strap wrapped around the frame to pull it in the right
> direction.  The pumpkin was held up into place with another floor jack.
> Tomorrow the other side, then on to the front suspension which is all
> rebuilt.  It just needs to be bolted in.  Can't exactly see the light at
> the end of the tunnel yet, but it's moving along. I have included a pictu=
re
> to help illustrate what Lynn was talking about.  The second picture is a
> little fuzzy, but shows everything connected.
> Mike MacLean
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000233d1a058b1eb2a0

have to add a tapered wedge into the equation =F0=9F=98=B3</div><br><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jun 12, 2=
019, 5:56 AM Michael MacLean, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex"><div><div class=3D"m_2347410470341958591yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"fo=
nt-family:times new roman,new york,times,serif;font-size:16px"><div>Well, t=
he driver&#39;s side finished=C2=A0 tonight anyway.=C2=A0 Just wanted to le=
t the list know I assembled the axle to the leaf spring tonight.=C2=A0 Many=
 thanks for all the suggestions from the list on how to do this.=C2=A0 I en=
ded up doing it the way restorer Lynn Martin told me. (<a href=3D"http://ww=
w.4everhealeys.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">www.4everhealeys.c=
om</a>)=C2=A0 Curt Arndt of the San Diego club got me in touch with Lynn.=
=C2=A0 In an email Lynn explained how he does it.=C2=A0 Put a floor jack un=
der the leaf spring and wrap a chain under the floor jack and around the ax=
le housing inside of the u-bolt location.=C2=A0 I used a tie down strap ins=
tead of a chain.=C2=A0 Worked just fine.=C2=A0 You then set a bottle jack o=
n top of the floor jack and under the u-bolt plate and lift the spring into=
 place with the bottle jack.=C2=A0 Easy peezy.=C2=A0 Well, not that easy.=
=C2=A0 Took a little fiddling to get everything to line up so the packing p=
iece and the u-bolt plate hole lined up with the pin on the bottom of the l=
eaf spring.=C2=A0 At the same time the hole in the welded box section of th=
e axle had to line up with the pin on the top of the leaf spring.=C2=A0 I h=
ad to persuade the axle housing to move a little towards the passenger side=
 to get the top pin in the hole.=C2=A0 The panhard bar bushings had to be c=
ompressed a little to get everything in place.=C2=A0 I used another tie dow=
n strap wrapped around the frame to pull it in the right direction.=C2=A0 T=
he pumpkin was held up into place with another floor jack.=C2=A0 Tomorrow t=
he other side, then on to the front suspension which is all rebuilt.=C2=A0 =
It just needs to be bolted in.=C2=A0 Can&#39;t exactly see the light at the=
 end of the tunnel yet, but it&#39;s moving along. I have included a pictur=
e to help illustrate what Lynn was talking about.=C2=A0 The second picture =
is a little fuzzy, but shows everything connected.</div><div>Mike MacLean<b=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" targ=