[Healeys] Water pump leak

To: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Water pump leak
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 17:03:33 -0400

--000000000000e523ca058f00756a

I almost hesitate to post about another problem but here goes:

Yesterday while almost done with a long ride to make sure that the brakes
were okay (they were) I got a spatter of oily drops on the windshield and
when I popped the bonnet i found a pretty liberal spray of oil across its
underside, just above the fan.  This morning after cleaning everything off
I put the car up on jack stands and ran the engine at about 2K to see if I
could find the source.

There is a slow but steady leak--perhaps a drop every three or four
seconds--coming off of the back face of the water pump pulley, which leaks
onto the fan belt and gets tossed across the engine compartment.  The
strange thing is that it does not seem like engine oil as it is brown in
color and has a definite bittersweet taste--nothing at all like the color
or taste of the engine oil.  It is sticky and looks almost like Permatex
Indian Head Gasket Shellac.

There is a grease nipple on the water pump and though I know I lubed it
when I last changed the water pump that was some time ago.  I am not
certain about the color of the grease but am thinking it was either red or
blue.

There is no oil in the water nor any water in the oil.
The leak is not coming out of the weep hole in the water pump.
The leak does not seem like oil that is emulsified--it really seems like
shellac but that makes no sense to me.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Best--Michael Oritt (BN1)

--000000000000e523ca058f00756a

ost hesitate to post about another problem but here goes:<br><br>Yesterday =
while almost done with a long ride to make sure that the brakes were okay (=
they were) I got a spatter of oily drops on the windshield and when I poppe=
d the bonnet i found a pretty liberal spray of oil across its underside, ju=
st above the fan.=C2=A0 This morning after cleaning everything off I put th=
e car up on jack stands and ran the engine at about 2K to see if I could fi=
nd the source. <br><br>There is a slow but steady leak--perhaps a drop ever=
y three or four seconds--coming off of the back face of the water pump pull=
ey, which leaks onto the fan belt and gets tossed across the engine compart=
ment.=C2=A0 The strange thing is that it does not seem like engine oil as i=
t is brown in color and has a definite bittersweet taste--nothing at all li=
ke the color or taste of the engine oil.=C2=A0 It is sticky and looks almos=
t like Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac.<br><br>There is a grease nipple=
 on the water pump and though I know I lubed it when I last changed the wat=
er pump that was some time ago.=C2=A0 I am not certain about the color of t=
he grease but am thinking it was either red or blue.<br><br>There is no oil=
 in the water nor any water in the oil. =C2=A0<br>The leak is not coming ou=
t of the weep hole in the water pump. =C2=A0<br>The leak does not seem like=
 oil that is emulsified--it really seems like shellac but that makes no sen=
_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" st=

--000000000000e523ca058f00756a--

--===============7804626963771517875==