Re: [Healeys] Four cylinder woes

To: Steven Kingsbury <airtightproductions@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Four cylinder woes
From: i erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 17:24:56 -0700
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000878ece058fcc70c0

Distributor advance or vaccum leak issues.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
typos and artifacts are the fault of my phone

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 2:04 PM Steven Kingsbury via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> To start off, my car, an early BN1, #598 was burned up in the Paradise
> fire and I just bought another BN1 to replace it. The new car has been hot
> rodded up a bit. Cam, bigger carbs and different pistons so it has a way
> different compression ratio and has been in this configuration for over ten
> years I believe. Was told it runs like the wind and came from a reliable
> and trust worthy person. Well I'm having problems with the car. Up to 2500
> RPM, it runs great! When I can get it up to 3200 RPM it runs great again,
> it's the 2500 to 3200 range where I'm having problems.
>    It feels like it's starving for fuel, or it has too much fuel, it
> hesitates, feels like it's not running on all cylinders, and generally like
> a bucking bronco, but then at 3200 or so, she smooths right out and flies!
>    I was told the carbs were set up a little rich. I leaned them out one
> flat at a time and no difference until they got too lean and wouldn't run
> well at all. So I took them back to original setting positions.
>    I've checked all gaps, they're all right. Pulled plugs when getting
> home and they are all fine, a little brown and all even looking. New
> condenser, new coil, changed to new plugs, I have not checked the timing
> yet, but with the way it runs below 2500 and above 3000, it seems to be
> just fine.
>    I am getting the car up in the air Monday as I have new tires to
> replace the old ones and will do a static timing check at that time. My old
> four cylinder was a breeze to set up and ran smooth through all revs. What
> am I missing with an engine set up like an M? Why would things go south
> between 2500 and 3000 and run fine below and above?
>    All suggestions are welcome and I do have a new fuel pump on order, so
> fire away. I've been doing things one step at a time to not introduce new
> problems, but this is the only problem that is consistent.
>    Thanks,
> Steven Kingsbury

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/eyera3000@gmail.com

--000000000000878ece058fcc70c0

div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">Ira Erbs<br>Portland, OR<br>typos an=
ote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 2:04 PM St=
even Kingsbury via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>he=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
radise fire and I just bought another BN1 to replace it. The new car has be=
en hot rodded up a bit. Cam, bigger carbs and different pistons so it has a=
 way different compression ratio and has been in this configuration for ove=
r ten years I believe. Was told it runs like the wind and came from a relia=
ble and trust worthy person. Well I&#39;m having problems with the car. Up =
to 2500 RPM, it runs great! When I can get it up to 3200 RPM it runs great =
again, it&#39;s the 2500 to 3200 range where I&#39;m having problems.</div>=
too much fuel, it hesitates, feels like it&#39;s not running on all cylinde=
rs, and generally like a bucking bronco, but then at 3200 or so, she smooth=
s right out and flies!</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I was told the carbs wer=
e set up a little rich. I leaned them out one flat at a time and no differe=
nce until they got too lean and wouldn&#39;t run well at all. So I took the=
m back to original setting positions.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I&#=
39;ve checked all gaps, they&#39;re all right. Pulled plugs when getting ho=
me and they are all fine, a little brown and all even looking. New condense=
r, new coil, changed to new plugs, I have not checked the timing yet, but w=
ith the way it runs below 2500 and above 3000, it seems to be just fine.</d=
iv><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I am getting the car up in the air Monday as I ha=
ve new tires to replace the old ones and will do a static timing check at t=
hat time. My old four cylinder was a breeze to set up and ran smooth throug=
h all revs. What am I missing with an engine set up like an M? Why would th=
ings go south between 2500 and 3000 and run fine below and above?</div><div=
>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0All suggestions are welcome and I do have a new fuel pum=
p on order, so fire away. I&#39;ve been doing things one step at a time to =
not introduce new problems, but this is the only problem that is consistent=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" targ=