[Healeys] Alternator Pulleys

To: warthodson@aol.com, pbrauen@gmail.com, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Alternator Pulleys
From: "R. Lindsay" <050.rpl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:19:47 -0400
I have installed an alternator in my BJ8 to support ac with mixed success.
Since our cars use a v-belt system I had to replace the pulley that came with
the alternator(serpentine) with a v-belt pulley.  I have checked the power the
alternator and at idle, it is below the amperage needed to run the equipment I
have installed.

When I look at the circumference of the v-belt pulley and the serpentine
pulley, the v-belt is definitely smaller. Should I use a v-belt pulley of
similar size?  Increasing the circumference of the pulley will make the
alternator spin faster and maybe solve my issue of slow engine speed/low amp
output, I think.

If my thinking is correct, how big of a pulley should I use?  I presume that if
the pulley is too large, it may make the alternator produce too many amps and
damage it.  Should I match the size of the serpentine pulley or buy a pulley
based on a calculation?  (FWIW, I have no knowledge/experience to do this).

The pulleys on the crank and water pump are standard Healey. There is ac
installed and the pulley on the compressor is larger than the old generator. I
have a two belt system so the alternator is belted to the compressor which if
what I said above about larger pulleys spin their equipment faster, how should
this be accounted for?

I may be over thinking this but I would like to run the ac at a reasonable
idle. Has anyone approached this and came up with a resolution?

Thank you so much for any light that can be shed on this.

Price Lindsay

Cell: 630-841-6300
Email: 050.rpl@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone