Re: [Healeys] 100 Windscreen Asseembly

To: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Windscreen Asseembly
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 17:38:49 -0500
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000cac535059a2a4f75

FWIW in my experience 100 windshields are a real PITA.
The corner bracket sets sold by the usual suspects are pitiful which does
not help matters.
You need to install spacers, as you asked, between the frame and the
glazing rubber. Determine the required thickness by measuring. I use
hardwood strips about 1 1/2" long.
The glazing rubber is meant to be coated with engine oil during
installation which is meant to make it swell to tighten things up.
Take your time and be patient.
IMHO it is one of the most difficult parts of a 100 restoration
particularly if the components are not an original set.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019, 4:21 PM Michael MacLean, <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
wrote:

> I have decided to get my windscreen pillars polished instead of painting
> them.  So, now I can assemble the re-chromed windscreen frame and glass.  I
> have two questions for the list.  For those of you that assembled a 100
> windscreen, did you use an adhesive or a lubricant on the glazing rubber
> strip between the rubber and the glass and/or the rubber and the frame?
> Next question, what did you use for a filler strip, size, hard rubber, soft
> rubber?  Does it go all the way around?  Is there an assembly tutorial
> available anywhere? OK< that's another question, but I did not want to send
> another email.
> Mike MacLean
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000cac535059a2a4f75

v dir=3D"auto">The corner bracket sets sold by the usual suspects are pitif=
ul which does not help matters.</div><div dir=3D"auto">You need to install =
spacers, as you asked, between the frame and the glazing rubber. Determine =
the required thickness by measuring. I use hardwood strips about 1 1/2&quot=
; long.</div><div dir=3D"auto">The glazing rubber is meant to be coated wit=
h engine oil during installation which is meant to make it swell to tighten=
 things up.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Take your time and be patient.=C2=A0</di=
v><div dir=3D"auto">IMHO it is one of the most difficult parts of a 100 res=
toration particularly if the components are not an original set.</div><div =
il_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Dec 20, 2019, 4:21 =
PM Michael MacLean, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net";>rrengine=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div=
6px"><div dir=3D"ltr">I have decided to get my windscreen pillars polished =
instead of painting them.=C2=A0 So, now I can assemble the re-chromed winds=
creen frame and glass.=C2=A0 I have two questions for the list.=C2=A0 For t=
hose of you that assembled a 100 windscreen, did you use an adhesive or a l=
ubricant on the glazing rubber strip between the rubber and the glass and/o=
r the rubber and the frame?=C2=A0 Next question, what did you use for a fil=
ler strip, size, hard rubber, soft rubber?=C2=A0 Does it go all the way aro=
und?=C2=A0 Is there an assembly tutorial available anywhere? OK&lt; that&#3=
9;s another question, but I did not want to send another email.<br></div><d=
_____________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=