Re: [Healeys] Clutch slave cylinder

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>, Perry Small <healeyguy@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Clutch slave cylinder
From: Bruce Peters <rv9aplane@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 20:19:46 -0800
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-3906063B-73EF-4D60-BB07-DB029F13E2AA
        charset=utf-8

Thanks Michael and Perry,
After some investigation today we determined we just couldn=E2=80=99t get en=
ough travel with the current rod length on the slave. We mocked up a longer r=
od and everything functioned well, so my buddy Greg Wold (who says hi Michae=
l) who was helping me has some spares that he can match up and send to me.=20=

Bruce

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 18, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Hi Bruce,  before changing parts I would recommend some diagnosis.=20
> Typically installing a longer push rod will make no difference.
> The combination of master cylinder diameter, master cylinder piston travel=
 and slave cylinder diameter will result in a specific slave cylinder travel=
.=20
> That distance of travel is designed to be sufficient to fully disengage th=
e clutch.
> First I would suggest using an adjustable wrench on the clutch arm to ensu=
re that when the clutch arm is moved toward the rear of the car that the clu=
tch does indeed disengage. You can check that by turning the prop shaft with=
 the gearbox in gear whilst the arm is moved back. Obviously at least 1 whee=
l must be off the ground.
> If the clutch does not release then the fault is within the clutch itself.=

> If the clutch does indeed release the fault is almost certainly with the h=
ydraulics.
> You will notice that it only takes about 3/4" of movement of the arm from t=
he the point where the release bearing first contacts the clutch cover thrus=
t plate until the clutch is fully released.=20
> This 3/4"is the travel that the slave cylinder piston and therefore the pu=
sh rod must move to release the clutch.
> This you can observe and in fact measure by having an assistant depress th=
e the clutch while you watch or measure the travel.
> If there is insufficient travel either there is air in the system or the w=
rong diameter cylinders are fitted.=20
> One mistake that many people make is having the bleed screw on the bottom r=
ather than the top of the slave cylinder.=20
> Another common problem is a clutch hose that has collapsed internally but t=
hat usually manifests itself as a problem with slow clutch engagement.
> Hope that helps.
>=20
> .
>=20
>=20
>> On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 8:04 PM Bruce Peters, <rv9aplane@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I purchased the replacement clutch slave cylinder from Moss for my 67 BJ8=
. The push rod appears to be too short to push far enough to disengage the c=
lutch. The slave cylinder piston travels to its max but it seems there needs=
 to be more travel to disengage the clutch. Have any of you had this issue? T=
he car was missing the original slave cylinder so I can=E2=80=99t compare th=
e rod length.=20
>>=20
>> Bruce
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael=
salter@gmail.com
>>=20

--Apple-Mail-3906063B-73EF-4D60-BB07-DB029F13E2AA
        charset=utf-8

vestigation today we determined we just couldn=E2=80=99t get enough travel w=
ith the current rod length on the slave. We mocked up a longer rod and every=
thing functioned well, so my buddy Greg Wold (who says hi Michael) who was h=
elping me has some spares that he can match up and send to me.&nbsp;</div><d=
ir=3D"ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Jan 18, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Michae=
lockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div dir=3D"auto">Hi Bruce=
,&nbsp; before changing parts I would recommend some diagnosis.&nbsp;<div di=
r=3D"auto">Typically installing a longer push rod will make no difference.</=
div><div dir=3D"auto">The combination of master cylinder diameter, master cy=
linder piston travel and slave cylinder diameter will result in a specific s=
lave cylinder travel.&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">That distance of travel i=
s designed to be sufficient to fully disengage the clutch.</div><div dir=3D"=
auto">First I would suggest using an adjustable wrench on the clutch arm to e=
nsure that when the clutch arm is moved toward the rear of the car that the c=
lutch does indeed disengage. You can check that by turning the prop shaft wi=
th the gearbox in gear whilst the arm is moved back. Obviously at least 1 wh=
eel must be off the ground.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><span style=3D"font-famil=
y:sans-serif">If the clutch does not release then the fault is within the cl=
 the fault is almost certainly with the hydraulics.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Y=
ou will notice that it only takes about 3/4" of movement of the arm from the=
 the point where the release bearing first contacts the clutch cover thrust p=
late until the clutch is fully released.&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">This 3=
/4"is the travel that the slave cylinder piston and therefore the push rod m=
ust move to release the clutch.</div><div dir=3D"auto">This you can observe a=
nd in fact measure by having an assistant depress the the clutch while you w=
atch or measure the travel.</div><div dir=3D"auto">If there is insufficient t=
ravel either there is air in the system or the wrong diameter cylinders are f=
itted.&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">One mistake that many people make is hav=
ing the bleed screw on the bottom rather than the top of the slave cylinder.=
&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">Another common problem is a clutch hose that h=
as collapsed internally but that usually manifests itself as a problem with s=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 8:04 PM Bruce Peters, &lt;<a href=3D=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #c=
cc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<br>
I purchased the replacement clutch slave cylinder from Moss for my 67 BJ8. T=
he push rod appears to be too short to push far enough to disengage the clut=
ch. The slave cylinder piston travels to its max but it seems there needs to=
 be more travel to disengage the clutch. Have any of you had this issue? The=
 car was missing the original slave cylinder so I can=E2=80=99t compare the r=
od length. <br>
Bruce<br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferrer=
 noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a h=
ref=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
r">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
s</a><br>
/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>

--Apple-Mail-3906063B-73EF-4D60-BB07-DB029F13E2AA--

--===============4673883273931890748==