Re: [Healeys] Steering Box Questions

To: Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Box Questions
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 14:33:09 -0500
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>

--00000000000078b43d059cfbf241

I know that I will raise the ire of some with this but, I would not
recommend any type of grease unless it becomes a liquid at normal operating
temperatures.
My problem with grease is that the steering box rocker shaft runs steel on
steel at the top the tube of the steering box. I have rebuilt quite a few
of those boxes and encountered considerable wear of the shaft at that point
when they have been low on oil, as in empty, or have been filled with
grease because the grease does not seem to get to that area.
As for changing the seal without removing the box it is possible. A small
pitman arm puller can be maneuvered into position to remove the arm then it
is just a case of digging the old seal out with an ice pick or dental hook.
Replace the original single seal with a pair of SKF /CR9815 seals and you
will be good to go.
For the front cover, remove it carefully so as not to damage the bearings
then reassemble with the slightest amount of sealant between each of the
shims and the cover.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 2:18 PM Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net> wrote:

> Two questions for the more experienced among us ...
>
> My BJ8 steering box is leaking. From the front cover and more
> significantly from the shaft.
>
> Firstly, is it possible to replace the shaft oil seal without removing the
> box ? - that is not going to happen at the moment.
> Looks sort of feasible to me and possibly the most difficult issue would
> be extracting the old seal ?
>
> Secondly as often mentioned here is to refill the box with some Penrite or
> similar NGLI 00 liquid grease. Is there a sensible/practical tecnique to
> get it into the filler hole ?. Grease gun with plastic tube ? Sounds messy
> job to me.
>
> Comments/ideas appreciated.
>
> rg
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--00000000000078b43d059cfbf241

ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I know that I will raise the ire of some =
with this but, I would not recommend any type of grease unless it becomes a=
 liquid at normal operating temperatures. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_def=
ault" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">My pro=
blem with grease is that the steering box rocker shaft runs steel on steel =
at the top the tube of the steering box. I have rebuilt quite a few of thos=
e boxes and encountered considerable wear of the shaft at that point when t=
hey have been low on oil, as in empty, or have been filled with grease beca=
use the grease does not seem to get to that area. <br></div><div class=3D"g=
mail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small=
">As for changing the seal without removing the box it is possible. A small=
 pitman arm puller can be maneuvered into position to remove the arm then i=
t is just a case of digging the old seal out with an ice pick or dental hoo=
k.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,san=
s-serif;font-size:small">Replace the original single seal with a pair of SK=
F /CR9815 seals and you will be good to go.</div><div class=3D"gmail_defaul=
t" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">For the f=
ront cover, remove it carefully so as not to damage the bearings then reass=
emble with the slightest amount of sealant between each of the shims and th=
e cover. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic =
sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br></div><=
n Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 2:18 PM Roger Grace &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:roggrace@t=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204=
,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><div>Two questions for the more experience=
t removing the box ? - that is not going to happen at the moment.<br></div>=
ten mentioned here is to refill the box with some Penrite or similar NGLI 0=
0 liquid grease. Is there a sensible/practical tecnique to get it into the =
filler hole ?. Grease gun with plastic tube ? Sounds messy job to me.<br></=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=