Re: [Healeys] Ordering from Denis Welch

To: "'Charles Rice'" <crice_home@glasgow-ky.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ordering from Denis Welch
From: "Mirek Sharp" <m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 22:44:27 -0400
Charles, I have never ordered from DW, but buy parts for my vintage MGs from
the UK all the time.  I find that direct deposit into the vendors bank
account in GBP works best.  My bank (in Canada) charges me $30 for the
privilege of doing this, and as you experienced, I can't so it on-line, I
have to go into the bank in person.  The tricky bit is that the payment
always goes through an intermediary bank in the UK, which also levies a
service charge, usually about 10 quid.  I have never understood this as I am
positive the bigger Canadian banks have London branches.  The thing to watch
out for is when you make the transfer, ask your bank to make sure that they
have included the intermediary bank charge.  I had a situation  where they
did not include it and the intermediary bank docked it from, the amount I
was transferring, thus shorting the vendor.  I had to do a second transfer
to make up the difference. My bank deferred the service charge for the
second transfer, but the intermediary bank didn't!

I prefer payment by VISA when I can, but check the exchange rate they are
using as it is usually terrible and on a big purchase makes a substantial
difference, which is why you are better off paying the bank service charges.

Similarly, PayPal charges a lot for large purchases in other currencies.

I have tried everything I can think of, including opening an account in the
UK, and opening an account with HSBC (a major UK bank) here in Canada as
they have branches near me, but one way or the other there are service
charges or dreadful exchange rates.

What I find laughable is that the service charges change with the amount of
the transfer.  Why?  Do they have to press the keyboard button harder for
bigger amounts?

I suggest going into your bank and doing a direct deposit to DW.  Also, on
larger purchases, I have found I can dicker with my bank (T-D) and they will
give me a slightly better rate, which basically pays for a couple of shots
of scotch, which I inevitably need after dealing with financial institutions
- they are all robbers.

Bonne Chance