Re: [Healeys] Running problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Running problem
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 09:44:19 +0200

--------------E9AF69D1A7E5C36F45B14F05

I notice you do not have a fuel filter installed. Fit one of the cheap
transparent plastic filters (still the best) in a visible place in the
fuel line to the carbs. Debris from the fuel tank may have stuck a float
valve and blocked a jet or a gauze filter somewhere.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 29-5-2020 om 01:50 schreef Brian Drab:

> [...]
> started the car, I got about 100 feet when the fuel pump started
> hammering. I got another couple of feet and the car ran out of gas.
> Fortunately, I was just across the street from a gas station so I took
> my trusty gas can, went over and filled it,  then came back and poured
> it in the gas tank. The car started up fine but began running really
> rough. I went another ½ block into another store, parked the car and
> went  inside. When I came back out about 15 minutes later there was a
> pool of gas, about 2-3?wide, under the front of the car. I started the
> car and it barely ran. I literally had to coax it home. It sounded
> like severe fuel starvation ? running barely on about 3 cyclinders.
>
> There was no more smell of raw gas nor any fuel leak as before.
>
> When I got home, I rapped the top of the float bowls on each carb in
> caser it was a stuck float valve. and it seemed to run a lot better. I
> felt at that time that a float valve had stuck and probably siphoned
> the fuel out of one of float bowls through the overflow tube.
>
> Fast forward 3 months:
>
> Last night I was getting it ready to take it on a bit of a road trip
> today it and when I took it out,  it ran very poorly ? again like fuel
> starvation but not as bad as before. It also popped back through the
> carbs frequently which I interpreted  to be a very lean mixture
>
> I did the following:
>
> put another 3 or 4 gallons of gas in the tank
>
> Took the float bowls apart and cleaned them out ? there was a bit of
> sediment in them but nothing worthwhile. I also checked the floats
> which were both leak free. I also cleaned out the float bowl filters
> at the in line.
>
> I checked the Gros float valves and they seemed to work properly ?
> held upside down, they closed and opened right side up.
>
> I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel pump and blew air back into
> the tank thinking that when it ran out of gas, sediment in the bottom
> of the tank may have plugged the intake. It blew fine into the tank.
>
> I have 2 fuel pumps on the car ? the regular SU and a facet pump. I
> pulled of the fuel line at the float bowl and turned on the ignition.
> The SU pump and the facet pump each filled a coke bottle pretty
> quickly. I did not measure pressure. The gas looked clear and pure. I
> do not have a fuel line filter.
>
> I checked the plugs all seemed good and were in fact burning on the
> lean side.
>
> I pulled the distributor cap and it was nice and clean inside with no
> sign of carbon tracks.
>
> I  have electronic ignition so there is nothing I can check there.
>
> I checked the timing ? it was right on.
>
> No matter what I did it didn?t make an improvement.
>
> I replaced the Gros float valves but it made no difference.
>
> Today I pulled the carbs (which on a BJ8 is no easy task) I checked
> the diaphrams and both were in good condition.
>
> Now I am stumped. Is it a fuel problem or something else? Can any one

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      cheap transparent plastic filters (still the best) in a visible
      place in the fuel line to the carbs. Debris from the fuel tank may
      have stuck a float valve and blocked a jet or a gauze filter
      somewhere.</p>
      Drab:<br>
cite="mid:YQBPR0101MB0868D541F88A95E9DC92415EAB8E0@YQBPR0101MB0868.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin-top:0cm;
        margin-right:0cm;
        margin-bottom:8.0pt;
        margin-left:0cm;
        line-height:105%;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            carbs and the car has run great since then with no
            adjustments required or made.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            about November last year.
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
[...]
            cyclinders.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            nor any fuel leak as before.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            the float bowls on each carb in caser it was a stuck float
            valve. and it seemed to run a lot better. I felt at that
            time that a float valve had stuck and probably siphoned the
            fuel out of one of float bowls through the overflow
tube.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            take it on a bit of a road trip today it and when I took it
            out,  it ran very poorly ? again like fuel starvation but
            not as bad as before. It also popped back through the carbs
            frequently which I interpreted  to be a very lean mixture
<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            the tank<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            cleaned them out ? there was a bit of sediment in them but
            nothing worthwhile. I also checked the floats which were
            both leak free. I also cleaned out the float bowl filters at
            the in line.
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            they seemed to work properly ? held upside down, they closed
            and opened right side up.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            fuel pump and blew air back into the tank thinking that when
            it ran out of gas, sediment in the bottom of the tank may
            have plugged the intake. It blew fine into the tank.
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            regular SU and a facet pump. I pulled of the fuel line at
            the float bowl and turned on the ignition. The SU pump and
            the facet pump each filled a coke bottle pretty  quickly. I
            did not measure pressure. The gas looked clear and pure. I
            do not have a fuel line filter. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            and were in fact burning on the lean side.
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            was nice and clean inside with no sign of carbon tracks.
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            is nothing I can check there.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            on. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            an improvement.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            it made no difference.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:115%">
            BJ8 is no easy task) I checked  the diaphrams and both were
            in good condition.
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
            Is it a fuel problem or something else? Can any one offer
            any suggestions?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
Drab<o:p></o:p></span></p>
B.C.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"