Re: [Healeys] Running Problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Running Problem
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 21:57:00 -0700

--------------859BC0A180E03AD0D45C374A

It's very surprising no one on this list suggested that possible cause
early on.

I think somewhere in the shop manual it says that those 'grub' screws
take a set and shouldn't be reused.

Bob

On 6/2/2020 4:10 PM, Brian Drab wrote:

> Success! I would like to thank everyone on the list for the
> enthusiastic support I received in trying to get my BJ8 running properly.
>
> In the end I took both carbs off and took the right apart and cleaned
> them. Nothing seemed untoward or problematic Except while I was
> checking the screw hold one of the fuel metering needles into the
> piston I noticed that it seemed a little too loose. When I tugged on
> the need it easily slipped out of position. I am surmising that on one
> of the occasions that the car was popping back through the carbs , the
> action sharply pushed up on the piston and dislodged the needle which
> would have fallen down into the jet and blocked fuel from flowing. In
> any event when I positioned the needle correctly and tightened the
> screw then carefully made all of the adjustments  and reinstalled
> everything,  the car is now running better than it has ever run!
>
> I can only think that after starting the car after it?s long winters
> nap, one of the float needles hung open and dumped fuel out off the
> overflow. I have no explanation for the puddle of fuel under the
> engine but I am sure the everything was related.
>
> Again thank you all for the ideas, believe me I looked each and every
> reply. This list is an unbelievable asset.
>
> One minor thing, I had forgotten how obscenely difficult it is to get
> those carbs off and on. It took me over an hour to get the lower right
> nut on the stud for the front carb. If I had tiny hands it would have
> been a lot easier but we have to do with what we have.
>
> Brian Drab
>
> Vancouver BC

--------------859BC0A180E03AD0D45C374A

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    It's very surprising no one on this list suggested that possible
    cause early on.<br>
    I think somewhere in the shop manual it says that those 'grub'
    screws take a set and shouldn't be reused.<br>
    Bob<br>
cite="mid:YQBPR0101MB08687E76C47FE794D85A62E5AB8B0@YQBPR0101MB0868.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          the list for the enthusiastic support I received in trying to
          get my BJ8 running properly.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
          the right apart and cleaned them. Nothing seemed untoward or
          problematic Except while I was checking the screw hold one of
          the fuel metering needles into the piston I noticed that it
          seemed a little too loose. When I tugged on the need it easily
          slipped out of position. I am surmising that on one of the
          occasions that the car was popping back through the carbs ,
          the action sharply pushed up on the piston and dislodged the
          needle which would have fallen down into the jet and blocked
          fuel from flowing. In any event when I positioned the needle
          correctly and tightened the screw then carefully made all of
          the adjustments  and reinstalled everything,  the car is now
          running better than it has ever run!<o:p></o:p></p>
          car after it?s long winters nap, one of the float needles hung
          open and dumped fuel out off the overflow. I have no
          explanation for the puddle of fuel under the engine but I am
          sure the everything was related. <o:p></o:p></p>
          me I looked each and every reply. This list is an unbelievable
          asset.<o:p></o:p></p>
          obscenely difficult it is to get those carbs off and on. It
          took me over an hour to get the lower right nut on the stud
          for the front carb. If I had tiny hands it would have been a
          lot easier but we have to do with what we have.<o:p></o:p></p>

--------------859BC0A180E03AD0D45C374A--

--===============2629809632425493342==