Re: [Healeys] Fastener Curiosity

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fastener Curiosity
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 12:32:50 +0200

--------------DACE7FEC02F8DAA2C1A7239D

Watch out. There are thread type's with the same TPI and but different
top angle's of the thread, e.g. UNF/UNC 60º and Witworth 56º. They may
seemingly fit but when you torque them down according spec you may strip
the thread. The nuts may have different AF sizes.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 5-6-2020 om 10:41 schreef Michael MacLean:
> Here is one for you Healey fastener buffs.  I installed the rocker
> assembly to the BN2 engine tonight.  Before I started, I found that I
> had two complete sets of studs, nuts and washers to install on the
> head.  Finally getting to torque the pedestal nuts down I was
> surprised to find two of the nuts were a different size than the other
> six.  Let me back up a bit.  I was surprised to find BSF threaded nuts
> with flats that fit a 9/16ths socket.  The two different nuts would
> only fit a BSF/Whitworth socket.  So, I took out the other set of nuts
> and washers and found they all fit the BSF/Whitworth socket.  In the
> name of uniformity I used the BSF sized nuts on all the pedestal
> studs.  Just seems kind of crazy a nut that only fit a 9/16ths socket
> would have BSF threads.  What's up with that?
> Mike MacLean

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------DACE7FEC02F8DAA2C1A7239D

  <head>
  </head>
      different top angle's of the thread, e.g. UNF/UNC 60º and Witworth
      56º. They may seemingly fit but when you torque them down
      according spec you may strip the thread. The nuts may have
      different AF sizes.</p>
      MacLean:<br>
      cite="mid:1532036267.3124377.1591346487953@mail.yahoo.com">
        new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;">
          fastener buffs.  I installed the rocker assembly to the BN2
          engine tonight.  Before I started, I found that I had two
          complete sets of studs, nuts and washers to install on the
          head.  Finally getting to torque the pedestal nuts down I was
          surprised to find two of the nuts were a different size than
          the other six.  Let me back up a bit.  I was surprised to find
          BSF threaded nuts with flats that fit a 9/16ths socket.  The
          two different nuts would only fit a BSF/Whitworth socket.  So,
          I took out the other set of nuts and washers and found they
          all fit the BSF/Whitworth socket.  In the name of uniformity I
          used the BSF sized nuts on all the pedestal studs.  Just seems
          kind of crazy a nut that only fit a 9/16ths socket would have
          BSF threads.  What's up with that?</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"