Re: [Healeys] 100-4 Tires

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100-4 Tires
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 09:35:05 -0700

--------------1335398DE1EC3239BE364D4F

I'll bite. Yes, tires spec'd for tubes should run tubes, but there's
reasons tubeless tires became popular: Tubes can chafe against the
tires, causing leaks--happened to me (yes, they were properly installed,
with talc)--or even blowouts, and tubed tires run hotter than tubeless
(I know Richard knows this, but some might not).

I think there's a difference between rims and beads that were designed
for running with tubes, and those that were designed for tubeless, but
I've never really understood/can't recall the science of it. Whether
it's a safety hazard or not, I also don't know either; maybe a hexpert
can chime in?

Bob

On 9/21/2020 8:22 AM, richard mayor via Healeys wrote:
> Why take a chance running them without tubes? Michelin says to use
> tubes. I got the tubes from Johnstone along with the tires. It was not
> a big expense.  And, I am using them on Minilites.
>
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 6:37 AM Skip Saunders via Healeys
>
>     Are all you folk with the XAS tires using inner tubes?   Or can
>     those tires be run tubeless?  I was wondering about how those
>     tires would work out on mini-lites?
>     Thanks
>     -skip- "Gladys - BJ8"
>
>     On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 8:46 AM <rfbegani@gmail.com
>
>         Simon:
>
>         I bought the Michelin  XAS 180R15 from Longstone and installed
>         them on my 67 BJ8 for the same reason that my 165 tires were
>         old not worn. They fill up the wheel wells very nicely and
>         hold the pavement. The ride is great.  I improved the ride
>         removing 90%+ of the 50-65 mph shake by have them shaved so
>         the tire is truly round and rubber meets the pavement flat.
>         First time in 30 years of owning a Healey I have a smooth ride
>         and can go over 50 mph when my wife is with me.  Finding a
>         tire shop who has a machine to shave the tires is difficult.
>
>         The only flaw in them is my right rear tire rubs the dog leg
>         flange when I make a hard turn to the left.  Searched the
>         archives and found 3 other big Healey listeners over the past
>         20 year who reported the same problem on the same wheel.  So
>         either it is a situation whereby it affects only a few cars
>         which maybe have right rear fenders with a smaller opening
>         from the factory or my restorer used a different flange to fix
>         the rusted dog leg.  Who knows.  Yes, I checked the dimensions
>         and the flange is slightly longer from the door jam.
>
>         Nevertheless, I love the ride and recommend them
>
>         Bob Begani  BJ8

>         Unsubscribe/Manage:
>         http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/tfsbj7@gmail.com

>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/boyracer466@gmail.com

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.net

--------------1335398DE1EC3239BE364D4F

  <head>
  </head>
    I'll bite. Yes, tires spec'd for tubes should run tubes, but there's
    reasons tubeless tires became popular: Tubes can chafe against the
    tires, causing leaks--happened to me (yes, they were properly
    installed, with talc)--or even blowouts, and tubed tires run hotter
    than tubeless (I know Richard knows this, but some might not).<br>
    I think there's a difference between rims and beads that were
    designed for running with tubes, and those that were designed for
    tubeless, but I've never really understood/can't recall the science
    of it. Whether it's a safety hazard or not, I also don't know
    either; maybe a hexpert can chime in?<br>
    Bob<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAKkXjqNjbfGafvH14FfVBt4ZmE6qKjz5xw+0OqBoyOEzqzNOwA@mail.gmail.com">
        Michelin says to use tubes. I got the tubes from Johnstone along
        with the tires. It was not a big expense.  And, I am using them
        on Minilites.<br>
          AM Skip Saunders via Healeys &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            tubes?   Or can those tires be run tubeless?  I was
            wondering about how those tires would work out on
            mini-lites?
              8:46 AM &lt;<a href="mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com";
                target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
              0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
              rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    from Longstone and installed them on my 67 BJ8 for
                    the same reason that my 165 tires were old not worn.
                    They fill up the wheel wells very nicely and hold
                    the pavement. The ride is great.  I improved the
                    ride removing 90%+ of the 50-65 mph shake by have
                    them shaved so the tire is truly round and rubber
                    meets the pavement flat.  First time in 30 years of
                    owning a Healey I have a smooth ride and can go over
                    50 mph when my wife is with me.  Finding a tire shop
                    who has a machine to shave the tires is difficult.</p>
                    rear tire rubs the dog leg flange when I make a hard
                    turn to the left.  Searched the archives and found 3
                    other big Healey listeners over the past 20 year who
                    reported the same problem on the same wheel.  So
                    either it is a situation whereby it affects only a
                    few cars which maybe have right rear fenders with a
                    smaller opening from the factory or my restorer used
                    a different flange to fix the rusted dog leg.  Who
                    knows.  Yes, I checked the dimensions and the flange
                    is slightly longer from the door jam.</p>
                    recommend them</p>
                      lang="EN-GB"></span></p>
                      currentcolor currentcolor
                      rgb(204,204,204);border-style:none none none
                      solid;border-width:medium medium medium
                      1pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6pt;margin:5pt 0in 5pt
                      4.8pt">
                          lang="EN-GB"> </span></p>
              Support Team.Net <a
                href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel="noreferrer"