Re: [Healeys] Mystery leak.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Mystery leak.
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 14:50:36 -0800
Both carbs have to come off, as they're on studs and the throttle shafts
are connected (the connector slides out, but only after you have the
carbs out). Unfortunately, there are no secrets or tricks; but you'll
want to use a 'stubby' end wrench (or cut a cheap half-inch end wrench
in half). Last time I removed them from my BJ8, I went in from the front
under both carbs to get the the lower/forward nut on the rear carb,
which is the most difficult to reach. I have numerous scars on my hands
and forearms from this and other mechanical endeavors (and working in an
almond orchard; sometimes those trees feel like they have millions of
fish hooks hanging from their branches).

I don't remember which car you have, but since you'll have both carbs on
the bench it would be a good time to go through them and replace any
worn parts (diaphragm for HD, packing for others). In fact, your leak
could be from a split diaphragm it you have HD carbs.

Bob