[Healeys] 100 Generator Witworth bolt

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 100 Generator Witworth bolt
From: warthodson--- via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:16:52 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2967225_1495791672.1610986612571

After our recent discussion about the 5/16" BSW (Witworth) bolt that thread=
s into the aluminum end plate on the generator, I decided to search thru al=
l my ziplock bags of British bolts to see if I could locate that one bolt. =
My 100 shipped disassembled. First, I separated all the 5/16" X 18tpi (coar=
se) bolts from the rest. Then I separated all the bolts with heads that fit=
 a 1/2" socket because I understood that the 5/16" BSW bolts have a larger =
head. I was left with 2 bolts. They are identical, except that one is about=
=C2=A01/2" long & the other is about 7/8" long. Neither has any markings on=
 the head of the bolt.=C2=A0My questions are:
If one is for the generator, where does the other one go?
The hex head on both bolts fit a King Dick socket marked 1/4W. The hex head=
 measures 0.52 across the flats. According the a "Key to Nut & Bolt Sizes" =
chart I have, this head size should be on a 1/4"W bolt but the bolt is 5/16=
" diameter X 18TPI. Do you see the contradiction? Also, this chart indicate=
s the hex head should measure 0.60 across the flats for a 5/16" BSW bolt.=
=C2=A0
Gary Hodson=C2=A0 =C2=A0
------=_Part_2967225_1495791672.1610986612571

discussion about the 5/16" BSW (Witworth) bolt that threads into the aluminum
end plate on the generator, I decided to search thru all my ziplock bags of
British bolts to see if I could locate that one bolt. My 100 shipped
disassembled. First, I separated all the 5/16" X 18tpi (coarse) bolts from the
rest. Then I separated all the bolts with heads that fit a 1/2" socket because
I understood that the 5/16" BSW bolts have a larger head. I was left with 2
bolts. They are identical, except that one is about&nbsp;<span
style="background-color: transparent; font-size: 12pt;">1/2" long &amp; the
other is about 7/8" long. Neither has any markings on the head of the
bolt.&nbsp;</span>

head measures 0.52 across the flats. According the a "Key to Nut &amp; Bolt
Sizes" chart I have, this head size should be on a 1/4"W bolt but the bolt is
5/16" diameter X 18TPI. Do you see the contradiction? Also, this chart
indicates the hex head should measure 0.60 across the flats for a 5/16" BSW
bolt.&nbsp;</div>

------=_Part_2967225_1495791672.1610986612571--

--===============1209579729321173659==