Re: [Healeys] Caswell zinc plating kit

To: John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org>, Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Caswell zinc plating kit
From: Curtis Arndt via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 11:00:10 -0800
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--0000000000007fefb205bc2dc3a4

Alan,

I used Caswell "Copy Cad" for years, and while the results were very good,
it took a learning curve to get there, *and it was very time consuming*.

In the end, I took my large buckets of clean wire brushed fasteners for my
BN1 restoration to Burbank Plating and had them all done in white Cadmium.
White Cad not only gives the same look as Zinc done 60+ years ago, it's
four times more rust resistant.

Now Burbank normally does not do fasteners for car hobbyists as people
still think they can bring in a rusty coffee can full of crappy rusty
fasteners and have them come back looking like new for $20.  Those days are
long gone.  They do mostly contract, new production fasteners.

I brought in a more than 'full" five gallon bucket of fasteners (more like
six plus gallons) that were all derusted, cleaned, inspected (threads and
heads were all good) and wire brushed... They were pristine. The owner said
that he would love to do them for me, *and only because I gave him
fasteners worthy of the time and effort to replate*. They individually
wired ALL of the fasteners down to the smallest ones, and did not lose
one!  They even did my excellent condition, original brake and fuel lines.
At $600 it wasn't cheap, but a deal and worth every dollar spent.

BTW They do ALL of the fastener plating for Jay Leno's cars.  FWIW, the
owner is a 6' 3" blond haired and bearded 30 something gentleman who looks
like a Northwest or Canadian lumberjack.

BTW their shop is immaculate, yes imagine a plating shop that looks that
good, and try as they might, the A$$HOLE EPA inspectors have not been able
to find any violations in their procedures.

Cheers,

Curt

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 8:49 AM John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org> wrote:

> I used Caswell's zinc kit for several years on three projects.  I did most
> of the setup myself, using only the chemicals.  Worked quite well for small
> parts, hardware and things like relay covers.  for prolonging the look you
> can use a clear coat over it.  Like most things it has a learning curve.
>
> John
> 64/66 BJ8s
>
> On 2/24/2021 9:08 PM, Alan Seigrist via Healeys wrote:
>
> Has anyone have experience with these?  Are these kits worth it?  Is the
> zinc plating decent enough?

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/cnaarndt@gmail.com

--0000000000007fefb205bc2dc3a4

t; for years, and while the results were very good, it took a learning curv=
div>In the end, I took my large buckets of clean wire brushed fasteners for=
 my BN1 restoration to Burbank Plating and had them all done in white Cadmi=
um.=C2=A0 White Cad not only gives=C2=A0the same look as Zinc=C2=A0done 60+=
div><div>Now Burbank normally does not do fasteners for car hobbyists=C2=A0=
as people still think they can bring=C2=A0in a rusty coffee can full of cra=
ppy rusty fasteners=C2=A0and have them come back looking like new for $20.=
=C2=A0 Those days are long gone.=C2=A0 They do mostly contract, new product=
;full&quot; five gallon bucket of fasteners (more like six plus gallons) th=
at were all derusted, cleaned, inspected (threads and heads were all good) =
and wire brushed... They were pristine. The owner said that he would love t=
o do them for me, <u>and only because I gave him fasteners worthy of the ti=
me and effort to replate</u>. They individually wired ALL of the fasteners=
=C2=A0down to the smallest ones, and did not lose one!=C2=A0 They even did =
my excellent=C2=A0condition, original brake and fuel lines.=C2=A0 At $600 i=
39;s cars.=C2=A0 FWIW, the owner is a 6&#39; 3&quot; blond haired and beard=
ed 30 something gentleman=C2=A0who looks like a Northwest or Canadian lumbe=
 plating shop that looks that good, and=C2=A0try as they might, the A$$HOLE=
 EPA inspectors have not been able to find any violations in their procedur=
Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 8:49 AM John Vrugtman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:javrugtman=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid r=
gb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    I used Caswell&#39;s zinc kit for several years on three projects.=C2=
=A0 I
    did most of the setup myself, using only the chemicals.=C2=A0 Worked
    quite well for small parts, hardware and things like relay covers.=C2=
=A0
    for prolonging the look you can use a clear coat over it.=C2=A0 Like mo=
st
    things it has a learning curve.<br>
    John<br>
    64/66 BJ8s<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
     =20
se
        kits worth it?=C2=A0 Is the zinc plating decent enough?</div>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

</pre>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>