Re: [Healeys] Fuses

To: Healey Mail List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuses
From: Tom <ah3000me@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 11:29:24 -0500

--000000000000b4a7c205bd5967de

Bob,

Thanks for the pointer to the BCF discussion.   For anyone who's
interested,  here's a link to the discussion from two years ago:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/community/threads/battery-fuse-protection.115642/
 It's a long thread, and worth the read for points both philosophical and
practical.

- Tom

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 11:59 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'll bite: I think you'd need a 'slow blow' fuse, like on the OD for
> instance. I usually buy batteries with the most CCA--cold cranking power,
> more current is available at higher temps--I can find/fit; some have 600A
> or more CCA (IIRC, the AGM in my BJ8 has over 700). An inductive load, like
> a motor or solenoid, pulls almost all current available for a split second,
> until inductance increases impedance. You might very well blow this fuse
> every time you try to start your car.
>
> There was an exhaustive discussion on this on the BCF; IIRC the conclusion
> was a fairly complex breaker system would work best. The simpler answer is
> to just make sure your cabling is in good nick; a lot of damage can happen
> even before a fuse blows. To my knowledge, most/all modern cars have no
> protection on starter systems either.
>
> Bob
>
> On 3/11/2021 8:14 AM, Tom via Healeys wrote:
>
> At the Monday evening Tech Call in hosted by the  AHCA New
> England chapter, one caller recounted the story of the hot wire from the
> battery to the the starter grounding out against the chassis, the
> insulation worn out from decades of chaffing.   Needless to say, lots of
> smoke and heat were generated.
>
> After 50+ years of use, it's surprising we don't hear more stories like
> this.   Is there a reason we shouldn't add a fuse?   Fuses like this style
> 500A
> fuse
> <https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-ANL-500A-Electrical-Protection-Holder/dp/B072PCPN1Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=500A+fuse&qid=1615478836&sr=8-4>
>  range
> from 30A to 600A.   That seems like enough power to run the starter and
> still provide protection against direct short damage.
>
> What does everyone think?
>
> - Tom

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ah3000me@gmail.com

--000000000000b4a7c205bd5967de

discussion.=C2=A0 =C2=A0For anyone who&#39;s interested,=C2=A0 here&#39;s a=
 link to the discussion from two years ago:=C2=A0=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://w=
ww.britishcarforum.com/community/threads/battery-fuse-protection.115642/">h=
ttps://www.britishcarforum.com/community/threads/battery-fuse-protection.11=
5642/</a>=C2=A0 =C2=A0It&#39;s a long thread, and worth the read for points=
hu, Mar 11, 2021 at 11:59 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@com=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(2=
04,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    I&#39;ll bite: I think you&#39;d need a &#39;slow blow&#39; fuse, like =
on the OD for
    instance. I usually buy batteries with the most CCA--cold cranking
    power, more current is available at higher temps--I can find/fit;
    some have 600A or more CCA (IIRC, the AGM in my BJ8 has over 700).
    An inductive load, like a motor or solenoid, pulls almost all
    current available for a split second, until inductance increases
    impedance. You might very well blow this fuse every time you try to
    start your car.<br>
    There was an exhaustive discussion on this on the BCF; IIRC the
    conclusion was a fairly complex breaker system would work best. The
    simpler answer is to just make sure your cabling is in good nick; a
    lot of damage can happen even before a fuse blows. To my knowledge,
    most/all modern cars have no protection on starter systems either.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
=A0
        AHCA New England=C2=A0chapter, one caller recounted the story of th=
        hot wire from the battery to the the starter grounding out
        against the chassis, the insulation worn out from decades of
        chaffing.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Needless to say, lots of smoke and heat were
        generated.=C2=A0
more
          stories like this.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Is there a reason we shouldn&#39;t=
 add a
          fuse?=C2=A0 =C2=A0Fuses like this style=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://w=
ww.amazon.com/Baomain-ANL-500A-Electrical-Protection-Holder/dp/B072PCPN1Q/r=
ef=3Dsr_1_4?dchild=3D1&amp;keywords=3D500A+fuse&amp;qid=3D1615478836&amp;sr=
=3D8-4" target=3D"_blank">500A fuse</a>=C2=A0range from 30A to
          600A.=C2=A0 =C2=A0That seems like enough power to run the starter=
 and
          still provide protection against direct short damage.=C2=A0=C2=A0=

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=