Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Speedo not working

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Speedo not working
From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 07:16:31 -0700

--------------9D1EAE84E190ECA42AFF3E20

It works fine on jackstands in gear with the engine running, but not on
the road? That is odd, and I've dealt with quite a few speedo issues
over the years.

The angle drive requires a small washer in the adapter on, I think, the
OD side of the adapter (Moss# 324-720). I believe it's to reduce wear,
but could be a factor (without out it, the angle drive could have
issues, as Michael suggested). Inside the speedo, the cable drives a
magnet carrier, which drives the speed needle and a worm gear, which
drives the odometer and trip meter gears. Does the odometer work, but
not the speed needle?

Bob

On 4/2/2021 6:12 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> I encountered a similar problem years ago.
> Eventually traced it to the short piece of cable in the angle drive
> slipping inside the gear.
> Not likely to be the case on 2 angle drives but may be worth checking.

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 9:09 AM Donald Tate <bn2cars@gmail.com
>
>     A friendâ??s BJ8 speedometer is giving us fits. New cable and angle
>     drive didnâ??t solve the problem. We can get it to work in the
>     garage while jacked up but once on the road, nothing! Weâ??ve tried
>     different combinations of old/new angle drives and cables to get
>     it working in the garage but we must be overlooking something.
>     Any suggestions are appreciated!
>
>     Sent from my iPhone
>     Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     <http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>     Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys
>     <http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys>
>     http://autox.team.net/archive <http://autox.team.net/archive>

>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com
>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com>

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.net

--------------9D1EAE84E190ECA42AFF3E20

  <head>
  </head>
    It works fine on jackstands in gear with the engine running, but not
    on the road? That is odd, and I've dealt with quite a few speedo
    issues over the years.<br>
    The angle drive requires a small washer in the adapter on, I think,
    the OD side of the adapter (Moss# 324-720). I believe it's to reduce
    wear, but could be a factor (without out it, the angle drive could
    have issues, as Michael suggested). Inside the speedo, the cable
    drives a magnet carrier, which drives the speed needle and a worm
    gear, which drives the odometer and trip meter gears. Does the
    odometer work, but not the speed needle?<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LKAsaVUWeq04mzOB0ZYfRaKNMg1Ojw3OXdpjohKJnne6Q@mail.gmail.com">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I encountered a similar problem
          years ago. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Eventually traced it to the
          short piece of cable in the angle drive slipping inside the
          gear. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Not likely to be the case on 2
          angle drives but may be worth checking.</div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
          Donald Tate &lt;<a href="mailto:bn2cars@gmail.com";
            moz-do-not-send="true">bn2cars@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">A
          friendâ??s BJ8 speedometer is giving us fits. New cable and
          angle drive didnâ??t solve the problem. We can get it to work in
          the garage while jacked up but once on the road, nothing!
          Weâ??ve tried different combinations of old/new angle drives and
          cables to get it working in the garage but we must be
          overlooking something. <br>
          Any suggestions are appreciated!  <br>
          Sent from my iPhone<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";