Re: [Healeys] It just quit

To: Mike Sinclair <phoenix722@comcast.net>, AH Mail List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] It just quit
From: John OBrien <banjojohn@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 17:57:31 -0500

--------------12F90F06EC3F2A6F14CD2E09

Mike: This might be a wild shot in the dark,but have you inspected your
new rotor carefully?  a few years ago we were in Waco for the Conclave
and our BJ8 quit running on us after acting weird for a few miles.  It
ended up that the little locator tab inside the rotor had sheared and
the rotor could now move around. It would still generate a spark, but
not at the right time. Luckily I had a spare rotor and replacing it got
us back on the road.  I found it when I had the Dist. cap off and tried
turning the rotor.  Low and behold it could turn on the shaft.  I hope
you find the problem whatever it is.

John O'Brien

'61 Bugeye (Lucy)

'65 BJ8 (Madelyn)

On 4/1/2021 8:16 PM, Mike Sinclair via Healeys wrote:

> I'm stumped. The Healey quit on me the other day (BJ8).  Was running
> great, then a slight miss for a mile or so, then very suddenly quit.
> Tach went to zero instantly.  Fuel pump clicks after it has sat for
> awhile, engine turns over rapidly, but nothing happens, even with
> starter fluid.  Not a whimper.
>
> So far I have:
>
> Checked for spark at a plug.  OK, but may not be under load.
>
> Checked for fuel flow at filter exit. Plenty.
>
> Per instructions in the manual, opened points and checked for voltage
> at coil SW and CB, at distributor connection from coil, across points,
> all 12v.
>
> Closed points, removed high tension lead from distributor and looked
> for spark on opening points.  I get a good 3/16" spark.
>
> Checked point gap.  0.015".  Points look new.
>
> Replaced condenser.  I've heard they are not always ok.  No change.
>
> The distributor was gone thru recently, with new rotor and points.
> Look clean, no carbon tracks, etc.
>
> Puff test on carbs.  OK.
>
> Any ideas?  Coil?
>
> Thanks, Mike

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/banjojohn@cox.net

--------------12F90F06EC3F2A6F14CD2E09

  <head>
  </head>
      inspected your new rotor carefully?  a few years ago we were in
      Waco for the Conclave and our BJ8 quit running on us after acting
      weird for a few miles.  It ended up that the little locator tab
      inside the rotor had sheared and the rotor could now move around.
      It would still generate a spark, but not at the right time.
      Luckily I had a spare rotor and replacing it got us back on the
      road.  I found it when I had the Dist. cap off and tried turning
      the rotor.  Low and behold it could turn on the shaft.  I hope you
      find the problem whatever it is.</p>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:8cc104ed-e0da-5b86-9092-31e85ca7689c@comcast.net">
          Healey quit on me the other day (BJ8).  Was running great,
          then a slight miss for a mile or so, then very suddenly quit.
          Tach went to zero instantly.  Fuel pump clicks after it has
          sat for awhile, engine turns over rapidly, but nothing
          happens, even with starter fluid.  Not a whimper.<br>
          not be under load.</font></p>
          Plenty.</font></p>
          points and checked for voltage at coil SW and CB, at
          distributor connection from coil, across points, all 12v.</font></p>
          from distributor and looked for spark on opening points.  I
          get a good 3/16" spark.</font></p>
          new.</font></p>
          not always ok.  No change.</font></p>
          with new rotor and points.  Look clean, no carbon tracks, etc.<br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"