Re: [Healeys] Thermal Switch Hole in Cylinder Head

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Thermal Switch Hole in Cylinder Head
From: wwycoffbn7--- via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 20:43:03 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_311849_814658233.1618087383237

=C2=A0Mirek,
I am also a caretaker of one of the few cars that came equipped with the au=
xiliary carburetor instead of a mechanical choke.=C2=A0 The car came to us =
in 1982 and I fairly quickly got the hang of managing it.=C2=A0However, it =
did seem a bit worrisome because the engine would occasionally cough before=
 it was properly warmed up.=C2=A0 When that occurred the back pressure woul=
d cause a fine mist of gasoline to blow out of the thermo carb and spray th=
roughout the engine compartment.=C2=A0During a freshening up in 2009, Tom K=
ovacs related to me that this situation caused a lot of these thermo carb e=
quipped cars to burn and often be destroyed.=C2=A0 This was apparently one =
of the reasons this feature did not last long in production.=C2=A0 Interest=
ing in that it seemed to work well on Jaguars.=C2=A0 =C2=A0He changed out t=
he system to=C2=A0 mechanical choke.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0The cylinder head wit=
h the otter switch, intake manifold and other parts are stored in the garag=
e in case a future owner wants to retrofit.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Best Regards,=C2=A0=
Bill
------=_Part_311849_814658233.1618087383237

font-size: 10pt; color: #000000;">
color: #000000;">Mirek,</span></div>
color: #000000;"><br>I am also a caretaker of one of the few cars that came
equipped with the auxiliary carburetor instead of a mechanical choke.&nbsp; The
car came to us in 1982 and I fairly quickly got the hang of managing
it.</span></div>
color: #000000;">However, it did seem a bit worrisome because the engine would
occasionally cough before it was properly warmed up.&nbsp; When that occurred
the back pressure would cause a fine mist of gasoline to blow out of the thermo
carb and spray throughout the engine compartment.</span></div>
color: #000000;">During a freshening up in 2009, Tom Kovacs related to me that
this situation caused a lot of these thermo carb equipped cars to burn and
often be destroyed.&nbsp; This was apparently one of the reasons this feature
did not last long in production.&nbsp; Interesting in that it seemed to work
well on Jaguars.&nbsp; &nbsp;He changed out the system to&nbsp; mechanical
choke.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></div>
color: #000000;">The cylinder head with the otter switch, intake manifold and
other parts are stored in the garage in case a future owner wants to
retrofit.&nbsp; </span></div>
color: #000000;">Best Regards,</span></div>
color: #000000;">Bill</span></div>
------=_Part_311849_814658233.1618087383237--

--===============2584037900086845923==