Re: [Healeys] o/d not engaging

To: "'healeymanjim'" <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] o/d not engaging
From: Henry G Leach via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 17:21:59 +0000 ISnzkYF5sDSgs11Tz64s3PTMM3Kv2ANW1sopkch5bDrB2l0XzSIJhNyXLoQ1io/G8DcSzYmGk3orzbSDfOgCwJYm6vIxlhQxtBJgpuvoK1WLitFh2+gU6j+n
Cc: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--=_a2511bb59c5797dd9b1e185d66228213

First thing I would do is swap out the "new" solenoid for another, to=0A=
see if the unit works properly. It sounds like this one is wimpy.=0AWhen=
 you say gasket replacement, I'm assuming that you mean the gasket=0Abet=
ween the side cover and the body. The solenoid has no gasket and=0Aaddin=
g one would create a problem. The side cover gasket is not very=0Athick,=
 so use sealant to prevent any leaks. (also replace o-ring).=0AOther tha=
n that, there is no reason that the gasket replacement would=0Aaffect th=
e operation, providing the accumulator parts are assembled=0Acorrectly,=
 and are in good working order.=0AFour hundred pounds of pressure is nee=
ded to overcome the 8 springs=0Awhich keep the unit in direct drive. Any=
 less will not shift properly.=0ANow carefully read and adjust the solen=
oid position as described in=0Athe manual. When adjusted, the lever only=
 moves about 1/16" to engage=0AOD. Regards, Hank=0A=0A=09---------------=
--------------------------From: "healeymanjim" =0ATo: "healeys@autox.tea=
m.net"=0ACc: =0ASent: Saturday July 10 2021 7:53:21PM=0ASubject: [Healey=
s] o/d=0A=0A for a few months i have been struggling with an overdrive t=
hat fails=0Ato engage with the solenoid (new one) but will engage if=0A=
 i push on the right side setting lever. made many different=0Aadjustmen=
ts and none worked. solenoid will instantly lift the=0A left side adjust=
ing arm as long as there is no oil pressure. it will=0Anot lift the adju=
stment arm more than a few millimeters=0A when car is moving. we had rem=
oved the solenoid bracket and replaced=0Aa gasket. not sure what could h=
ave happened but=0A trans and o/d are now separated on my workbench and=
 i can see nothing=0Awrong anywhere. checked and reseated ball on=0A oil=
 pump and found no grit or dirt. small accumulator piston moves up=0Aand=
 down inside housing assembly. there were no=0A problems with overdrive=
 until gasket change. any help appreciated.=0A _________________________=
______________________=0A Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.ht=
ml=0A /> Suggested annual donation $12.75=0A=0A Archive: http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/healeys [1]=0Ahttp://autox.team.net/archive=0A />=0A Heal=
ys/gradea1@charter.net=0A />=0A =0A=0ALinks:=0A------=0A[1] http://www.t=
eam.net/pipermail/healeys=0A

--=_a2511bb59c5797dd9b1e185d66228213

other, to see if the unit works properly.&nbsp; It sounds like this one=
ing that you mean the gasket between the side cover and the body.&nbsp;=
 The solenoid has no gasket and adding one would create a problem. The s=
ide cover gasket is not very thick, so&nbsp; use sealant to prevent any=
 leaks. (also replace o-ring).&nbsp; Other than that, there is no reason=
 that the gasket replacement would affect the operation, providing the a=
ccumulator parts are assembled correctly, and are in good working order.=
vercome the 8 springs which keep the unit in direct drive. Any less will=
ust the solenoid position as described in the manual. When adjusted, the=
 lever only moves about 1/16" to engage OD. Regards, Hank<br><br><div cl=
ass=3D"reply-new-signature"></div><p>-----------------------------------=
------</p>From: "healeymanjim" <healeymanjim@hansencc.net><br>To: "heale=
ubject: [Healeys] o/d<br><br>=0Afor a few months i have been struggling=
 with an overdrive that=0Afails to engage with the solenoid (new one) bu=
t will engage if<br>=0Ai push on the right side setting lever. made many=
 different=0Aadjustments and none worked. solenoid will instantly lift t=
he<br>=0Aleft side adjusting arm as long as there is no oil pressure. it=
=0Awill not lift the adjustment arm more than a few millimeters<br>=0Awh=
en car is moving. we had removed the solenoid bracket and=0Areplaced a g=
asket. not sure what could have happened but<br>=0Atrans and o/d are now=
 separated on my workbench and i can see=0Anothing wrong anywhere. check=
ed and reseated ball on<br>=0Aoil pump and found no grit or dirt. small=
 accumulator piston moves=0Aup and down inside housing assembly. there w=
ere no<br>=0Aproblems with overdrive until gasket change. any help=0Aapp=
pport Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html%3Cbr";>http://w=
ww.team.net/donate.html<br>=0A/&gt; Suggested annual donation $12.75<br>=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net=
/archive%3Cbr">http://autox.team.net/archive<br>=0A/&gt;<br>=0AHealeys@a=
options/healeys/gradea1@charter.net%3Cbr">http://autox.team.net/mailman/=

--=_a2511bb59c5797dd9b1e185d66228213--