Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Clutch Springs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Clutch Springs
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 13:43:19 -0700

--------------E722F777AF56B55FBB907F84

I believe the shop manual says the springs 'must be renewed at overhaul'
(or similar Britism). Mine looked fine at over 200K miles, but I sprung
(heh) for new. Not cheap, but pulling gearboxes and, especially getting
the O/D to mate up to it is no fun either.

On 10/10/2021 1:05 PM, Henry G Leach via Healeys wrote:
> Harold- I would purchase replacement springs from Overdrive Spares in
> UK. It appears that you would want to get 4 new short springs (the're
> tired), and if all 4 long look equally correct you could re-use them.
> The importance being that together they "equally" put pressure on the
> clutch lining to keep the car in direct drive (without slipping).  Be
> sure to put the shorts (inner) and long (outer) in properly or they
> will coil bind and really not work well.
>
> I don't know the spring rates, but if you get them from OD Spares,
> they will be the right ones for the job. Be sure to give them the
> overdrive number on the casing for reference to get the correct set.
> Moss has them as well as AH Spares, but did they come from OD Spares,
> or made in ...?  Hank

  <head>
  </head>
    I believe the shop manual says the springs 'must be renewed at
    overhaul' (or similar Britism). Mine looked fine at over 200K miles,
    but I sprung (heh) for new. Not cheap, but pulling gearboxes and,
    especially getting the O/D to mate up to it is no fun either.<br>
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:3b02cbba059b5abdf1f3b12f6e7e5b214c7dc6f6@webmail">
      Harold- I would purchase replacement springs from Overdrive Spares
      in UK. It appears that you would want to get 4 new short springs
      (the're tired), and if all 4 long look equally correct you could
      re-use them. The importance being that together they "equally" put
      pressure on the clutch lining to keep the car in direct drive
      (without slipping).  Be sure to put the shorts (inner) and long
      (outer) in properly or they will coil bind and really not work
      well.
        Spares, they will be the right ones for the job. Be sure to give
        them the overdrive number on the casing for reference to get the
        correct set. Moss has them as well as AH Spares, but did they
        come from OD Spares, or made in ...?  Hank<br>
              BJ7. What should the free length of the clutch springs be?
              All 8
              are made from 0.095â?? diameter wire. The long springs
              measure
              4-7/16â?? to 4-15/32â?? and the short springs are 4-1/16â?? to
              4-1/8â??.
              The manual states the springs should be 4-1/2â?? and 4-1/4â??.
              I was
              surprised the short springs are more undersized than the
              long
              springs.</p>
              springs in
              earlier OD models were made from two different wire sizes.
              Does
              anyone know the wire diameter of length of new springs
              from a
              reputable supplier?</p>
        </healeys@autox.team.net></div>

--------------E722F777AF56B55FBB907F84--