Re: [Healeys] Speedo cable routing.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speedo cable routing.
From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:56:36 -0700

--------------MUTgPP7qLXCVVYdyc8q9KsEz

re: "I wonder if the speedo cableâ??s routing was so far out of line that
it needed a slight short cut to achieve its destination. My cable goes
through a grommet to the left of the bottom left corner of the control
box. Is that correct? Or should it take a more central route?"

Disclaimer: I've not owned nor worked on a RHD car.

Since the speedometer gearing is on the left/port side of the O/D
housing--unless RHD cars are different--on a LHD car the cable has to
make, in effect, a 'hard' 90deg left turn. Yet, besides the occasional
glitch speedos in LHD cars work, well, OK (what matters is that routing
isn't so drastic as to kink or bind the cable). I can't see any purpose
for the optional hole as the speedo cable would make a more graceful,
easier turn to the right in a RHD car. My LHD BN2 has its cable just
wedged between the gearbox cover and the scuttle, unless I installed it
wrong.

I can't imagine why /any /speedo cable would need to go through the
scuttle/firewall, if that's what you mean by 'control box' (aka voltage
regulator). Mechanical tach cables have to, though.

On 11/5/2021 9:04 AM, Simon Lachlan via Healeys wrote:

> Looking back through my files, I have contradictory info on this. So,
> here goesâ?¦..
>
> My car is a RHD MkII BT7 with a centre shift box. It thus has the
> fibre glass tunnel cover which, I gather, continued to the bitter end
> in â??67.
>
> You may recall that I sent in a pic of my tunnel cover a few weeks
> back and asked if it was an original or a latterly made repro.
> Thankfully, you said that it was original but it was pointed out that
> it had an extra hole. See attached. As I interpreted it, the â??extra
> holeâ?? is to the right and the correct way in is through the centrally
> located â??correct routing for speedo cableâ??.
>
> Assuming that is correct, I am led to wonder for what purpose some PO
> had drilled that extra holeâ?¦â?¦I wonder if the speedo cableâ??s routing
> was so far out of line that it needed a slight short cut to achieve
> its destination. My cable goes through a grommet to the left of the
> bottom left corner of the control box. Is that correct? Or should it
> take a more central route?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

--------------MUTgPP7qLXCVVYdyc8q9KsEz

  <head>
  </head>
    re: "I wonder if the speedo cableâ??s routing was so far out of line
    that it needed a slight short cut to achieve its destination. My
    cable goes through a grommet to the left of the bottom left corner
    of the control box. Is that correct? Or should it take a more
    central route?"<br>
    Disclaimer: I've not owned nor worked on a RHD car.<br>
    Since the speedometer gearing is on the left/port side of the O/D
    housing--unless RHD cars are different--on a LHD car the cable has
    to make, in effect, a 'hard' 90deg left turn. Yet, besides the
    occasional glitch speedos in LHD cars work, well, OK (what matters
    is that routing isn't so drastic as to kink or bind the cable). I
    can't see any purpose for the optional hole as the speedo cable
    would make a more graceful, easier turn to the right in a RHD car.
    My LHD BN2 has its cable just wedged between the gearbox cover and
    the scuttle, unless I installed it wrong.<br>
    I can't imagine why <i>any </i>speedo cable would need to go
    through the scuttle/firewall, if that's what you mean by 'control
    box' (aka voltage regulator). Mechanical tach cables have to,
    though.<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000501d7d25e$dd9fdfc0$98df9f40$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          contradictory info on this. So, here goesâ?¦..<o:p></o:p></p>
          shift box. It thus has the fibre glass tunnel cover which, I
          gather, continued to the bitter end in â??67.<o:p></o:p></p>
          tunnel cover a few weeks back and asked if it was an original
          or a latterly made repro. Thankfully, you said that it was
          original but it was pointed out that it had an extra hole. See
          attached. As I interpreted it, the â??extra holeâ?? is to the
          right and the correct way in is through the centrally located
          â??correct routing for speedo cableâ??.<o:p></o:p></p>
          wonder for what purpose some PO had drilled that extra hole��I
          wonder if the speedo cableâ??s routing was so far out of line
          that it needed a slight short cut to achieve its destination.
          My cable goes through a grommet to the left of the bottom left
          corner of the control box. Is that correct? Or should it take
          a more central route?<o:p></o:p></p>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>
--------------MUTgPP7qLXCVVYdyc8q9KsEz--