[Healeys] [OT] Gas

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] [OT] Gas
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:15:36 -0800

--------------BAhZC9IJz7UiyeDL30eXJ0u0

Some interesting history:

https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-gasoline-they-lied-about-the-scienc-1848189752

There's one disputable claim in the article, re:

"... he failed to advance the carâ??s ignition and was struck by its hand
crank when the motor kicked back, breaking his jaw ..."

I used to drive my dad's Model As, which had manual advance (a lever on
the steering column). For starting, you had to RETARD spark timing--with
either the starter or hand crank (I think I did this one time)--not
ADVANCE it. Same with his 1919 fire engine.

Footnote: Bartles & Jaymes /were/ mythical, but Carlo Rossi was real; my
mom knew him when she worked at Gallo.
--------------BAhZC9IJz7UiyeDL30eXJ0u0

  <head>

  </head>
    Some interesting history:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-gasoline-they-lied-about-the-scienc-1848189752";>https://jalopnik.com/a-brief-history-of-gasoline-they-lied-about-the-scienc-1848189752</a><br>
    There's one disputable claim in the article, re:<br>
    "... he failed to advance the carâ??s ignition and was struck by its
    hand crank when the motor kicked back, breaking his jaw ..."<br>
    I used to drive my dad's Model As, which had manual advance (a lever
    on the steering column). For starting, you had to RETARD spark
    timing--with either the starter or hand crank (I think I did this
    one time)--not ADVANCE it. Same with his 1919 fire engine.<br>
    Footnote: Bartles &amp; Jaymes <i>were</i> mythical, but Carlo
    Rossi was real; my mom knew him when she worked at Gallo.<br>
--------------BAhZC9IJz7UiyeDL30eXJ0u0--

--===============6803563875847009295==