Re: [Healeys] Head Gasket Woes Part Three

To: Steven Kingsbury via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>, Steven Kingsbury <airtightproductions@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Head Gasket Woes Part Three
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 17:01:31 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=bheqUCw6o0YS3QSaxkK/SfQoTWc8kgupUUpbiuItdNE=; b=PUQYohFr3IcFegiw8mRTcJF3T6HiicSFT4BPs9Cg3gAxj3U1MsD76ZSAFFHDz0nbnX2TeQnYL8XJKXQ4dhFRgBZeTg7GhBRJHR5ENn7BK0lNWVFrgp9hfpD8BnwXl86HlhaUfYUUuNpAMRcKecJE+Zcx8OcEYuBzT6GMSaMNLW8c9yhGNRhophNvhEh//+ye5p04nqnNVA4APrRtV/fA6ja1EXsmB7NxVqgDvhaJUIGBUd4GJchfo4oI7zzWrN2/a/HVUDZxFq5RIVnK8wpyFCL6lgePykNobEuQX5iPP8m2SyTeEVuZtfnMvqPdOWM9Z7ltnk3Mw9Tb+fP8OLgBrA==
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=bheqUCw6o0YS3QSaxkK/SfQoTWc8kgupUUpbiuItdNE=; b=DiDs6uI7a8DJ2rpLzQcSnljdaBnWky1NlFVcOoVQ3BL18VBiKB/fuEfxsCQhxTJNTDKQFyGbijaItNC8jbQe2vNNBerW6W7n9xU+LGm6ubDUBo5lR07smb90iotl/ZIkw5NY16bUyWEzKSdBDxnruvOGHtBDCfHc1sfHEjhqfancpw8atuA9oOLxS9fB9crArYScVoZKgTxXT/Vj/dLQlx2tJiYXvz+VIWM8tEEMc/4hLNQlc9OdVHm7snTfbs5Pe1xa3tzcIAYQicHP/ZljGV0CktzbbEPzpnY6YAtQAjEJF5OtazkgLvemJ+VnhyYIh7e7f83SSCx5j3xIYDkuGA==
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=W9yQm82FfAxgg38rLDk+0yoCu5Kxk2eFAgdIHWX2SaUIWnKcLmtEF6i6uuDTAAkDKRXbkbmNtCsi+NToimtYwKlpRbm9wdUvCyoveg/PjrRqttkFjWX1b9s3lmE7cdoGgyAZezXcJ0panr2Uc2f3MjlcRBJKdtlnTgY/S6DfDDrdDcVLIvdhfNOKgS8KwyPhXzmXP6AqDPg13hsgPDKt5d9HwHvRuoxWoiZn6Xqy0mM4A2h1FUbpH3BGXy0xeM+XM1hP0ovCfwHmHEPye2we5aqIVKIwjwmbtsdouUROEIfRkOpwPJnaHt809MXgrrmNtz9wJ8ArYbDQaSm4Vo7Dhg==

--_000_CY4PR13MB1063BEA171C1FE0038590B54A53C9CY4PR13MB1063namp_

I had a bunch of trouble with head gaskets before my last rebuild. It occur=
red to me that the laminated copper gaskets I was using had an area of over=
lap in the combustion chamber that exposes the thin copper to erosion by ho=
t combustion gases. My theory is that the copper burns away and exposes the=
 asbestos core which is then gradually burned out until the gasket fails ca=
tastrophically. I used a solid copper gasket for a time with good results, =
but couldn=92t get it to seal between the oil and water systems. At the las=
t rebuild I installed the Denis Welch competition gasket and had both surfa=
ces tried and finished. The results have been great.