Re: [Healeys] BJ8 1967 Engine Rebuild failure

To: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 1967 Engine Rebuild failure
From: Tom Mitchell <drtommitch@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 11:41:58 -0600
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
References: <CAGfzsZeTb36PwQEGenLB_GiqHvG1ppPFG-rX65xXnq+SK-oLmg@mail.gmail.com> <3A985D11-4623-4AE0-988D-2060D0ECF634@visioncenterpc.com> <1707663985681.4713305.17b16ca7488b96698d7a01da29020fffccafb629@spica.telekom.de> <CAPTa0B6w0oeNZ6zb-ANS0BLAOQ8XPGgAfz1Z-i75HgAuDCi32A@mail.gmail.com> <1707668616110.4733056.cfcfdbfdfd295e0e9bd0b008a3722a45998ccc07@spica.telekom.de> <CAPTa0B4z-ykSeQ9TYZ-_bTTXBKwW2dPFL-i3BonBdkDQLuaSiA@mail.gmail.com>
--===============4943396614576574391==

--00000000000054431306111eaeb0

I drive my Healey a lot and on very  long drives.

In my case I did the Toyota transmission (instead of repairing the existing
transmission) so my wife, two sons, grandkids and others could drive the
car without me cringing everytime they shifted. =F0=9F=98=B2

In the future, if someone wants to, they can reinstall the old tranny,
assuming they rebuild it and fix the overdrive.

Tom Mitchell
Ann Arbor, MI
1965 BJ8

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024, 11:32=E2=80=AFAM Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.c=
om>

e/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.ne=

>>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/drscholz@visioncenterpc.c=
om

>>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com
>>>
>>> =EF=BB=BF

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/drtommitch@gmail.com

--00000000000054431306111eaeb0

Toyota transmission (instead of repairing the existing transmission) so my =
wife, two sons, grandkids and others could drive the car without me cringin=
g everytime they shifted. =F0=9F=98=B2<div dir=3D"auto"><br><div dir=3D"aut=
o">In the future, if someone wants to, they can reinstall the old tranny, a=
 dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Feb 11, 2024, 1=
1:32=E2=80=AFAM Michael Oritt &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"=
iv><div class=3D"gmail_default"><font color=3D"#3333ff">You said:=C2=A0 &qu=
ot;</font><font color=3D"#0000ff">I usually try to understand why others do=
 such things my mind cannot follow.&quot;</font></div><div class=3D"gmail_d=
efault" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
e=3D"color:#3333ff">That&#39;s a different problem as what makes sense to o=
ne of us may not make sense to another.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" s=
tyle=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"colo=
r:#3333ff">In my case I replaced my BN1&#39;s original three-speed transmis=
sion with a Smitty&#39;s five-speed=C2=A0conversion and W58 transmission be=
to California--about 3,000 miles from my home in Maryland--when the second =
gear cluster broke and=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"col=
or:#3333ff">2.=C2=A0 I wanted to complete the trip driving the car rather t=
han having it shipped home, still broken, and</div><div class=3D"gmail_defa=
ult" style=3D"color:#3333ff">2.=C2=A0 I was about 100 miles from Smitty&#39=
;s shop in Thousand Oaks CA and he had both a rebuilt W58 and a conversion =
kit on hand, and</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">=
4.=C2=A0 Even assuming I could have found a replacement cluster and a facil=
ity that could have installed it in a reasonable=C2=A0amount of time, etc.,=
 the original transmission was a POS in the first place, as was the manual =
clutch which I also replaced with an hydraulic clutch (later upgraded to a =
BJ8 diaphragm unit)</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333f=
cision was easy for me to make and after a couple of days working at Smitty=
&#39;s shop and=C2=A0an outlay of a reasonable sum of money I was able to d=
rive back to MD.=C2=A0 Beyond that I feel that what I gave up in originalit=
y I have more than gotten back in driveability.</div><div class=3D"gmail_de=
fault" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=
=3D"color:#3333ff">Best--Michael Oritt</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" st=
ir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 11:23=E2=80=AFAM <a=
 href=3D"mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:josef-eckert@t-onlin=
e.de" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>&gt;=
 wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px =
0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><p =
style=3D"margin:0px"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;=
font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">Michael,<br></span></=
p>
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">I do not mind and =
I am fully with you. I even do not mind if one puts his car in the dining r=
oom or fills it with water or throws it down a bridge. Its his/her car and =
everybody can do with belongings what they want as long others are not hurt=
.or their belongings are not damaged with. </span></p>
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">But I usually try =
to understand why others do such things my mind cannot follow.</span></p>
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">Josef eckert</span=
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">K=C3=B6nigswinter/=
Germany</span></p>
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">=C2=A0</span></p>
ure</p>
o:michael.oritt@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">michael.ori=
tt@gmail.com</a>&gt;</p>
e" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>&quot; =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"no=
referrer">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>&gt;</p>
ellerism goes=C2=A0<em>&#39;&#39;Every one to his own taste,&#39; said the =
old woman as she kissed the cow&quot;.</em></div>
ritt</div>
=AFAM josef-eckert--- via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.=
net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wr=
ote:</div>
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">What I do not unde=
rstand is, why you want to convert an Austin-Healey to V8, Electtric, etc? =
For me the decision is clear to keep an Austin-Healey as Austin-Healey and =
when I like to have a V8 as well i would buy a Jaguar XK8 or similar as an =
addition. We did this with our holiday car which is a Mazda MX-5 Miata. The=
 car is absolutely great and in many ways superiour to the Austion-Healey, =
especially when it comes to the heavy traffic on European roads and Safety.=
 Meanwhile I do not go on any=C2=A0 motorway here in Germany with one of my=
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">Josef Eckert</span=
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">K=C3=B6nigswinter/=
Germany</span></p>
if;font-size:10pt;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-decoration:none">=C2=A0</span></p>
ure</p>
ef=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">h=
ealeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;</p>
aleyrik@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeyrik@gmail.com=
</a>&gt;</p>
d be concerned with the lack of passion with a full electric conversion. =
=C2=A0
=C2=A0</div>
mailto:healeyrik@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeyrik@=
y? Bleah!=C2=A0 As you say, to each their own. There&#39;s plenty of room i=
n the Healey tent for concours, modified, big Healeys, little Healeys, Nash=
 Healeys, Healey boats, etc. Can&#39;t we all just get along?=C2=A0=F0=9F=
=98=80
PM Bob Spidell via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:</d=
iv>
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
c motor and batteries; done right, it would blow the doors off an LS or Coy=
ote swap (up to a 100MPH or so, I wouldn&#39;t push a Healey chassis much p=
ast that, for long anyway-BTDT). How many owners do more than day trips any=
way (my days of 5K mile trips are, unfortunately, in the past). <br><br>I w=
anted a big V8-powered car with all the modern improvements, so I bought a =
Mustang GT and left my Healeys as Austins (Jensens) un-mutated, and without=
 the 20-50% drop in market value* (my survivors will have to sell my Healey=
s someday). 475HP--480 if I could get 93-octane--disks all around (Brembos =
in front), electric throttle and steering (several modes), 19x9/10 wheels w=
ith Michelin Pilot Sport 4ses, IRS, MagneRide and Steeda suspension upgrade=
s (the IRS is a bit shaky); 0-60 under 5s (supposedly; I&#39;m not good eno=
ugh and the A10s are quicker). Bigger and heavier; I reckon a Nasty Boy wou=
ld take me on a narrow twisty, but on the sweepers and straights it&#39;s s=
ayonara. The Mustang hauls ass, and it&#39;s fun, but the Austin-Healeys ar=
e simply more satisfying to drive--by far--warts and all.<br><br>Disclaimer=
: I am very much an &quot;It&#39;s your car, do what you want with it&quot;=
 person. I&#39;ve made small mods to my cars: Pertonix Ignitors in both; ta=
ller rear-end for highway driveability, Texas Cooler with shroud in the BJ8=
 but I never have, and never will, understand why people buy a car they don=
&#39;t actually want just to change it (owners with broken/missing engines =
who think &#39;Why not?&#39; I can see). Why not buy a Saxon and build it u=
p the way you want it from scratch? Oh, and for the record, I don&#39;t muc=
h care for breast implants either; just not the same.<br><br>* Just my obse=
rvations from BaT, FB, mailing lists, etc.; I&#39;ve yet to see a Nasty Boy=
 cross the block at B-J or Mecums--doen&#39;t mean it hasn&#39;t happened--=
but the muscle car &#39;restomods&#39; with SBCs, LSes, etc. are a dime-a-d=
ozen and, IMO, not particularly unique or imaginative (they do have garish =
dual passage Wizard radiator with 15=E2=80=9D spal fan-I can drive in a par=
ade at 110 heat index and car stays right at 195 degrees.=C2=A0 Lots of wor=
k to get the alternator to fit-I modified a bracket from a Jeep wrangler LS=
 swap kit. =C2=A0 Everything barely fit longitudinally-there is one inch be=
tween the electric radiator fan and my water pump. =C2=A0 Had to cut the st=
eering shaft and u joint.=C2=A0 Works great. =C2=A0
p diff and it works perfectly. =C2=A072=E2=80=9D Daytona wire wheels with 2=
05 wide tires. =C2=A0 Lowered the front spring perches -my front was so muc=
h lighter it was up in the air by 2-3=E2=80=9D.=C2=A0 It rides and handles =
so well.=C2=A0 My car was a 1959 100-6 so it wasn=E2=80=99t worth as much s=
tock as a BJ8.=C2=A0 I feel my value went up. =C2=A0=C2=A0</div>
fun to slowly cruise and then hit the gas and go.=C2=A0 I would never go ba=
ck to the heavy iron block.=C2=A0 I feel this an aluminum V8 would have bee=
n Healey=E2=80=99s first choice if GM would have worked with him. =C2=A0</d=
iv>
o:healeyrik@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer"> &lt;healeyrik@=
t as simple as &quot;dropping in a V8&quot;. That&#39;s the easy part, most=
ly focusing on making engine and transmission mounts and cutting away piece=
s of the footwells so the motor will fit with the exhaust headers in place.=
=C2=A0 It&#39;s all the other stuff you need to do that will really add the=
 work. New electrical system, radiator, upgraded brakes, fuel system, trans=
mission shifter, etc, etc. It&#39;s worth it in the end if you want a Heale=
y/Cobra, but you&#39;ll also knock off about 30 percent of your car&#39;s v=
alue or more.=C2=A0 You can see the work I had to do to put a Ford 5.0L and=
 5 speed transmission into my BJ7 here:=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://forum.britis=
hv8.org/read.php?13,8264" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://forum=
.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264</a>=C2=A0 The Ford 5.0 is narrower than the=
 Chevy LS so less body cutting to do, but not a huge difference. LS motors =
are more likely to be found in a junkyard with low mileage now and with you=
r brother a GM mechanic, would be very helpful.=C2=A0 I did about 50-75% of=
 the swap myself, except for the engine rebuild and body fabrication. My ca=
r has 350 hp and I run the stock rear end with 3.55 gears and Dayton 72 spo=
ke wires.=C2=A0 Much more power than that and those parts will start brakin=
g.=C2=A0 A good engine swap is really a joy, but if you do a bad one it wil=
l be a nightmare forever. Chris did a really nice swap with his LS but he c=
an speak to how much work it was.
would be to try a replacement Healey 6.</div>
M &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefe=
rrer">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
-serif">Funny you should suggest a v8 replacement.=C2=A0 Chris just made th=
at suggestion to install an LS1 with GM Trans.=C2=A0 My Bother is a retired=
 GM mechanic, and he agrees.=C2=A0 Did you do the exchange?=C2=A0 What engi=
ne trans etc. did you use?=C2=A0 All options are on the table.</span></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
-serif">Bob</span></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
top:1pt solid rgb(225,225,225);padding:3pt 0in 0in">
lto:healeyrik@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeyrik@gma=
br><strong>To:</strong> <a href=3D"mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com"; target=3D"_bl=
ref=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">=
967 Engine Rebuild failure</p>
 far seems correct. Without the main bearing caps you&#39;re in a tough spo=
t.=C2=A0 Maybe trying to find a BJ8 block or a rebuildable BJ8 motor is the=
 best of a bad group of choices.=C2=A0 Too bad, I gave away a bare block wi=
th caps from a BJ7 a few years ago for a donation to our club charity.=C2=
=A0 I&#39;d put a wanted ad in the club magazines and Healey forums, Facebo=
ok pages and hope someone out there might have one. Try Hemphills, Healey S=
urgeons, David Nock, maybe they have one that needs rebuilding somewhere. O=
r do what I did and put a V8 in there!</p>
=3D"mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">rfbegan=
i@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</p>
order-left:1pt solid rgb(204,204,204);padding:0in 0in 0in 6pt;margin-left:4=
.8pt;margin-right:0in">
-serif">Gentlemen:</span></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
-serif">I arrived back to Florida in May and decide to drive my 67 Austin-H=
ealey.=C2=A0 Drove it a mile and heard clanking engine, looked at the oil p=
ressure, It was O! Instead of stooping to have towed home, I drove it back =
slowly.=C2=A0 Last month, I dropped the pan and started to remove the rod a=
nd crank caps and bearings.=C2=A0 My mechanic friend said you got lucky the=
 crank may only need polishing and new bearings.=C2=A0 So, I packed and mar=
ked each of the main bearing caps, bolts, and bearings along with piston ro=
ds and caps in individual plastic bags. Then packed them into a larger plas=
tic bag which was put under the workbench near the garbage.=C2=A0 We towed =
the car to Mikes garage so he could pull and disassemble the engine.=C2=A0 =
Tuesday, he asked me to bring the parts I had removed from the engine so he=
 would have everything in one place.=C2=A0 I looked around but could not fi=
nd this black plastic bag and then remembered it got pitched in the garbage=
. So, I am now up the famous creek and am asking this group what I can do?<=
/span></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
<ol start=3D"1" type=3D"1">
<li><span style=3D"font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I am told t=
he engine is finished because the Main Bearing caps are not available and e=
ven if you could find them, they would need to be line bored on the engine.=
<li><span style=3D"font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">I am told t=
hat finding an engine block for a 3000 with original main bearing caps is a=
lmost impossible.</span></li>
<li><span style=3D"font-size:16pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Finding an =
engine to be rebuild might be possible.</span></li>
</ol>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
-serif">My engine was rebuilt 6000 miles with years ago everything new, so =
I would like to find a way of fixing the existing engine, if possible.</spa=
n></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
-serif">Please give me your advice.</span></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
-serif">Best regards,</span></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
-serif">Bob Begani</span></p>
-serif">67 Austin-Healey BJ8</span></p>
-serif">=C2=A0</span></p>
________________________<br>Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net=
/donate.html" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/dona=
ef=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noref=
errer">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.te=
am.net/archive/healeys" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.t=
" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br><a hre=
nsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys=
/healeyrik@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer"> http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com</a></p>
<pre>_______________________________________________ Support Team.Net <a hr=
ve: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; target=3D"_blank" rel=
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http:/=
/autox.team.net/archive/healeys" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http:=
//autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a> <a href=3D"mailto:Healeys@autox.team.n=
et" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">Healeys@autox.team.net</a> <a href=
ibe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspide=
ll@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/=
mailman/options/healeys/bspidell@comcast.net</a> </pre>
_______________________________________________<br>Support Team.Net <a href=
=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank"> http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donati=
on=C2=A0 $12.75<br><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/he=
aleys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"> http://www.team.net=
/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; re=
l=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"> http://autox.team.net/archiv=
lank" rel=3D"noreferrer">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br><a href=3D"http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=
scribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/hea=
leyrik@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"> http://a=
kquote>
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/=