Re: LSR list

To: "Dave Lum" <dimer@ix.netcom.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LSR list
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 07:10:13 -0800
Dave,  I'll wade in here

I am 41yrs old and grew up in Los Angles with the Normal teenage interest
in Hot Rods and Street Racing... Used to watch the guys come back with Salt
on these weird old Cars.... always thought that was neat... Read about
Bonneville all the time and always kinda had this fascination with it... I
worked in Gas Stations and as a shop boy ( floor sweeper ) for Ken Young
and son who restored Indian Motorcycle's

Joined the Army at 18 as a Helicopter Mechanic..and went to Flight School
in 78.. bought an Austin Healey 100 from a guy... and was talking to his
Room Mate in 79... that Guy was Brad Johnson... who has been my best friend
and now Racing Partner on the Camaro... Brad and I bounced around the world
together for 20 yrs...somewhere in there I read about Donald Healey Being a
member of the 200mph club.. hmmm decided that that ought to be done
again... A Healey on the Salt...

Brad and I went to a swap meet in Moultrie Ga... and they had a couple of
Salt flats cars... Oh Man was I hooked again... busted my tail and got an
ole El Camino I had built to cruise the Autobahn's in together and took it
to one of the Races there with this New association called the East Coast
Timing Association...

Poor John Beckett and Tom Sarda... had really put together some kinda
place... then they moved it to North Carolina and the Airstrip at Maxton...
500 miles away.. oh well.. still had to go and watch.. We Helped out anyway
we could.

Finally went to Bonneville myself Last year for the 50th... Tom Sarda tried
to get me to buy his 80 Camaro.. Hell I wanted an Austin Healey not some
damn Camaro... then Tom put a price on it... Needless to say now I am
testing a lot of the Parts that I had been collecting for the Healey... The
one thing I have learned is that I don't have a damn clue about this kind
of Racing... I have loved it since I was a Kid.. and I have tremendous
respect for guys who have worked and gotten their way into the two club...
But personally I haven't a clue.. Hence the List..

Chuck and I started this List so I could learn something and for all of us
to have the ability to interact with our ideas and thoughts... it is a free
forum... by that I mean any question is fair game.... to include Click
training for Birds?  hmmm Wendy what's up with that...

Spelling,  and the english language aren't an issue here.. personally I
want to hear what you have to say..... if you disagree with an Idea I want
to hear it even more... if we both had the same opinion.... one of us
wouldn't be necessary... obviously one of the Rules of etiquette... is to
always be polite... if it is a personal Negative... I don't want to hear it
on the list email them personally... but to disagree about an idea... hmmm
is why they have so many classes at Bonneville... Perfect...

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )

> From: Dave Lum <dimer@ix.netcom.com>
> To: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: LSR list
> Date: Friday, February 05, 1999 7:42 PM
>
> How many are on this list and how about some bio's? Or did I miss them
already? You guys already know about me somewhat. Next?