goodguy, YES ........ geezer, NO !

To: dhaller@techline.com
Subject: goodguy, YES ........ geezer, NO !
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:56:16 EST
        Hi  Dave ,   In my book ,  you aren' t a  GEEZER  yet  !    You' ll
be qualified
sometime in  2003  ...... you probably still have more dark hair than white ,
 you
can' t remember  Pearl  Harbor ,  rationing ,  blacked out headlights ,
snoods ,
or  VJ  Day  .  Nothing personal ,  pal  .......  you just haven' t
experienced enough
winters / sunsets / haircuts / new pairs of shoes ....... or heartbeats .....
 YET !
    I' ll bet when you were in high school you and your buddies didn' t ride
around
in cars that were cool because they had long shackles,  fender skirts ,  or
ECHO  CANS  .   Back then a car was regarded as hot if the word got out that
"  It' s got a  CAM  in it  !  "    That mystical camshaft also was classed
as being
"  three quarter " or  " semi " or  "  full race  " ....... not much talk
about overlap,
duration or lobe separation back then  .
    When you first attended the drags ,  did they start with a flag man
....... or a
Christmas tree  ?   Or could  Top  Eliminator be grabbed by a flathead rail ,
 driven
by a guy in a tee shirt and a crash helmet with leather sides ,  that cranked
out the
fantastic speed of  109  mph  ?     I  don' t know if you recall those days ,
 Dave ,
but if you do ,  you probably hadn' t been a teenager for very long  .
     I  don' t know exactly when we become  " geezers ", " greybeards " , "
pop ",
or  "  that old guy over there ",  but  I  think you' re not quite there  yet
,  and   it
won' t be too much longer ........ and you' ll be in  "  the over the hill
gang  " .
     I  am looking forward to seeing you and your sleek machine at  El
Mirage in
May ,  and  also hope  I  can be there again ,  when you  ARE  a  GEEZER ,  in
three or four years !     Considering the line of work you' re in ,  I  might
make a
slight suggestion that can only help you to reach that status as a  GEEZER  :
     When you go out on your shift ...... always wear that vest  !!     I  am
 SURE
you  DO  !!         Got your injectors up and runnin'  yet ,  youngster  ?
    ........ NOT  the  oldest  on this list  ........ but  NOT  the  youngest
,  either  !
                                      Bruce
 PS :  One more old time memory ......... do  YOU  remember a man bringing a
block of  ICE  every week ........ to keep your  ICE  BOX  cold   ??????