Spring progress report

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Spring progress report
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 06:39:32 -0400
List,

   It was awful slow on the list this weekend, so maybe everyone had
beautiful weather like I had to get out in the garage.

   Finally got the USS Wankel dug out of the garage and have washed off the
cat fur and
dust that's accumulated since last season.  The car seemed very happy to be
out in the sun and fired right up, even with the cold race plugs.  Got my
newly certified fire bottles mounted and checked all the lines with
compressed air.  Now all I have to do is decide on a which gear ratio to try
in May and see if I can get the suspension any lower without throwing the
caster off by too much. (I can lower the front a bunch, but the rear is a
bit tougher)
   I did notice that with the 13" autocross slicks on the car it sits very
low to the ground already.  Has anyone had any luck finding a decent LSR
tire for a 13" rim?
I'm kinda partial to Goodyear slicks but haven't seen any much narrower than
8".  I see some 185/60VR 13's in Tire Rack's add that look like they have
potential.  Wheel availability for the RX7 is the problem since it has an
odd 4 on 110 bolt circle.  My choices at the moment seem to be use the 13's
or swap/redrill the hubs to use the same wheels as the USS Wankel.  Plenty
of time to think on this, since I don't even have a whole RX7 at the moment.
(Still have half a car, but it goes to the crusher this week too.)

   Hope everyone had a great productive weekend.  If there are any members
of Team McMeekin lurking out there, please drop me a line.

Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA #9
Pole Cat Hollow, NC