Speed Week & WOS Diary and Thick Air vs. Thin Air

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Speed Week & WOS Diary and Thick Air vs. Thin Air
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 00:40:23 EDT
Group,
    I think that Keith and Mayf have a good point. If you're running a
"Brick" the heavy air seems to hurt you more aerodynamically(sp) than it
helps you "horsepower-wise".
    In my case we were running something a little more "slippery" than a
"Brick" and the 3000' lower density altitudes in the AM made a little more HP
and speed.
    This must reach a point of diminishing returns because in jet transport
aircraft the higher density altitude affects the lifting capability of the
wing as well as the thrust availability of the engines, thus the "no-go"
temperature maximum of about 120 deg. at stations such as Phoenix and Las
Vegas in the summer, no matter what the available runway length is or how
light the load.
    How about some of you other guys sharing your WOS and Speed Week tales
with the rest of us. It's great reading...........Ardun Doug King