Re: Walter Mitty Goes to the WOS

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Walter Mitty Goes to the WOS
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 08:35:34 -0700
Keith,

With Jenifer living in San Francisco and having worked there myself for five
years, I'm really surprised she used the terms she did in describing the
fire suit.  "Mustard" and "Aubergine" would be much more the kind of color
description you would hear in The City.  The influence reached to Sacramento
too so you could have grown up with those terms.

Seriously, I'm currently very much in favor of black, as in CarbonX, for
fire suits.  Bill at Chapman Racing gave me a preview of a talk he was
giving at a convention of textile people in Boston during World of Speed.
He was preparing to defend their claims and research on the fire resistance
and heat absorption qualities of the fiber, without giving away any of the
secrets they have before additional patents of the fiber.  Anyone who is
going to buy a new fire suit should really consider getting one from CarbonX
fabric.  The stuff works like magic in protection from fire.  Each layer
gives up to a minute of protection and yet it breathes so on hot days it
isn't going to be as hot as what is on the market now.  I guess you would
have to ask what staying out of the hospital burn unit is worth for your
skinny butt.  I watched a little second grade girl in my wife's class who
had been burned over about 70% of her body.  She is a tough little character
and will survive but the scarring, the pain, the years of additional skin
grafts and therapy just overwhelm me.  If I could get protection first I'd
do it in a heartbeat.

Wes