Re: Re: compounding

To: v4gr@rcn.com, owner-land-speed@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Re: compounding
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 01:38:26 EDT
Ok, now is this what the Turbonique thing was?
    Mike
In a message dated 10/10/0 4:37:09 PM, v4gr@rcn.com wrote:

<<John; Turbo compounding in this case means having a turbine in the exhaust
system that is geared to the crank shaft. The exhaust pressure is used to
develop force to the crankshaft instead of driving the supercharger. In the
late 40s it was thought the engine would just serve as a gas generator and
the turbine would drive the prop. Than they realized that a compressor was a
better gas generator than a piston engine. In 66 they closed the piston
engine shop where I worked and I moved to the Jet Shop. Rich Fox>>