Re: List Imput gas/fuel

To: Rick Byrnes <rick@rbmotorsports.com>, Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: List Imput gas/fuel
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:20:15 -0700
Rick,

There's some interesting backup for Dave's comments if you look at the
timing slips for the #355, Grumpy Old Men lakester.  With Joe Law driving,
he set the gas record at 334.219 with a fast run of 338.454.  Bob Beatty set
the fuel record at 338.954 with a fast run of 344.428.
That would back up Dave's comments on the minor difference between gas and
alcohol ... about 1% in speed in this case.

There was a rule in the early days of racing on the salt that a car had to
exceed the old record speed by 1% to qualify as the new record holder.  I
have no idea when that rule changed ... probably have to ask some old timers
on the rules committee.  I'd guess it had to do with the simple fact that
one car went faster than the other without consideration for the percentage
of increase in speed.

I find it interesting that their fuel record is about twice the speed that
Jim went ... 172.278 ... in your car.  I'd really like to see how fast your
engine would go in a slippery body like a lakester or a streamliner.  Check
the times ... Fred went 258 with 54 less cubic inches than you are running.

Wes