JEG's and Roll Cages

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: JEG's and Roll Cages
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 06:07:48 -0800 (PST)
I didn't buy my cage from Jegs. I decided to have
it custom bent, but I did talk with them on the
phone for quite a while about the cage.
Apparently they bend their own roll cage kits
right there in shop.  They told me that if I
ordered a kit and wanted some custom bends rather
than what they usually put in the kit, just send
them drawings and call them when placing the
order and they would bend up whatever I wanted -
-all within their regular price range.  Their
tubing meets spec, so it's just a matter of how
you lay it out and your welding that will
determine whether or not it is accepted by tech.

As far as dealing with Jegs, I've bought stuff
from just about every major supplier in the past
few years.  I've found Jegs to be the best, and
their prices always seem to be just a couple
bucks lower than everybody elses.  I was just
about to order some suspension bushings directly
from PST for $50.  The new Jeg's catalog has the
same bushings (from PST) for $43!

If you can't find somebody local to bend and
custom fit the correct tubing, then I'd say a
Jeg's kit is a good starting place.  Call them
first and chat with them.  Ask them if they can
send you a picture (even hand drawn if not
digital) of all the pieces they intend to put in
the kit.  That way, if you want to customize it,
you can work it out with them.  For the tubes
that you have to notch and custom fit yourself,
buy a cutoff or reciprocaing saw and a small hand
grinder.  Practice cutting a "V" cut and then
round it out with the hand grinder.  It should
take you only a short time to master the
technique - then go for it.  Remember, cut long
and work your way down a sixteenth of an inch at
a time.  Cut, grind, fit - grind, fit, grind,
fit, grind, fit, etc.  It's not a bad project to
undertake.

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *