TWO GREAT LADIES HAVE LEFT US - - - - -

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: TWO GREAT LADIES HAVE LEFT US - - - - -
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 00:29:49 EST
        Yesterday ( Wednesday ), two famous American women of the 20th
Century passed away, both having left their mark in a different way .......
       Dale Evans, 88, sometimes called the " Queen of the West ", and
the wife of Roy Rogers since 1947, passed away at her home in Apple
Valley, California .  She and Roy were in 35 cowboy movies together
and they also recorded more than 400 songs as partners .
       I think many on this list saw Dale and Roy riding, singing, and
catching the bad guys in more than a few Westerns ...... I know they
were often a part of our Saturday afternoon movie fare when we were
growing up in the 40s and early 50s ....... Dale and Roy had been
married for 51 years when he died in 1998, at age 86 .
      The other lady was Anne Morrow Lindbergh, author and widow
of Charles Lindbergh, and a famous aviatrix of the late 20s and 30s era .
      In 1930 Anne became the first woman to receive a glider pilot' s
license, and she was with ' Lucky Lindy ' on numerous flights all
over the globe, and wrote a number of books on their adventures .
       I bought one of her books, " North to the Orient " ( publ. 1935 ),
at a yard sale a few years back, for about 50 cents ...... it was a very
good book for me to read, as I find that era of developing aviation quite
interesting .   I think the airfield in Colton, California ....... Morrow
Field,
where drag races were held in the early and mid fifties, was named
after Anne in recognition of her exploits in aviation .
      Anne was 94 years old, and died in her home in rural northern
Vermont .  She once wrote, of flying, " Flying was a very tangible
freedom. In those days, it was beauty, adventure, discovery ......
the epitome of breaking into new worlds. "
        Two fine and honorable women from a great generation ......
both trailblazers in different arenas ......

                To Dale,  I wish " Happy Trails to You " ......
     To Anne,  may you find  " Fair Winds and Blue Skies " ......

 Bruce Ferguson