Re: Dry sump mounting

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry sump mounting
From: "Jim Bodenheimer" <bicwig@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 23:49:27 -0500
KT,
Forgot about the trailer.  Two cents from the turn left community.  First,
our tank is about 8" higher than the pump.  The pump is located even with
the oil pan.  This will keep the lines full.  You will see a slight delay in
getting oil pressure no matter how much you prime the system.  Ours is about
a second or so.  Pretty un-nerving.  Also, we are using 2 bands and 2 probes
to heat the oil.  Cuts our heat-up time to an hour or so (or in your case 2
diet cokes and a couple winston lights).  We run -16 lines to and from the
tank as well as an oil cooler.  Our capacity is 14 qts - yours may be less.
On the heating subject, I saw something at our last race in Lakeland, FL
last week.  A guy got caught heating the rear-end oil before qualifying.
Seems he had a probe heater stuck in the vent on the center section.  I
can't see the advantage in round track unless you tape up the rear cooler,
but in our case, might be some extra rear hp.  Just a thought - not that I
would do such a thing (time to re-wire the heaters and put a real vent in!).
  Take care,

Jim