Power Shut-off

To: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>, "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Subject: Power Shut-off
From: Higginbotham Land Speed Racing <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 11:36:59 -0600
Glen, Howard, List
In an effort to avoid running high amperage cable "all over" my car, I have
elected to have multiple batteries. They are located in the front of the
car (forward of the cockpit) for the front engine starting and ignition;
just aft of the cockpit for the electronics associated with ignition, fuel
pump, data recorder, EFI and rear (behind the rear engine) for starting,
water pumps. I suppose that I could use a battery cart for starting each
engine but on-board is much more convenient.
Having said all that, what would be your recommendation on how to use
manual switching to disconnect the power?
We did this discussion last year but it was not resolved.
Glen, your suggestion/observation is an excellent solution for batteries
located in the same area of the car. The one Gary Allen installed is like
that and is simple, at the rear of the car, clearly marked and easy to
operate. Jack's is also a good one. Knife switch and linkage...right Jack?
I think that multiple switches (shutoff locations on the car) is not a good
idea. Neither is mechanical linkage running from one end of the car to the
other........ I do, however, lean towards solenoid disconnects at each
battery that are turned off by a manual switch/upset switch and are
"normally off" like an early Ford starter solenoid.
Skip(only a couple of more subjects.....I promise......)